|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Batwoman is a 2019 comic book tv series airing on the CW network. Originally featuring Kate Kane as Batwoman, the show recalibrated following the departure of its lead actor, and conceived an overhaul featuring an original character by the name Ryan Wilder as Batwoman.
- Ryan Wilder is about to become Batwoman. She's relatable, messy, loyal, a little goofy, and apart from being a lesbian, she couldn't be more different than the woman who wore the Batsuit before her, billionaire Kate Kane. Ryan, who we meet living in her van with only her plant for company, has been made to feel trapped and powerless by the system her whole life, and believes the Batsuit is the key to breaking out of it. But what she'll come to discover is that it's not the suit that makes Ryan Wilder powerful, it's the woman inside of it who finds her destiny in changing Gotham City for good.
- Original description: Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope.
- Badass Normal: Ryan Wilder, Kate Kane, Sophie Moore.
- Badass in Distress: Sophie in the Pilot.
- Building Swing: Frequently how Ryan exits, with her grappling hook gun.
- Double Agent: Julia Pennyworth is always working on the sly and most people have a hard time parsing her true nature
- Freudian Trio: The Bat team. Ryan (id), Luke (superego) and Mary (ego)
- Holding Out for a Hero: The police invoke this when zombies are ravaging Gotham but, unbeknownst to them, their systemic racism has locked Batwoman up for zero crimes.
- Love Redeems: Subverted by Alice over and over again.
- The Medic: Mary Hamilton
- Old Master: Kate's 'trainer', presumably somewhere in the Arctic?
- Something Person.
- Stay with Me Until I Die: Ryan asks Sophie (who doesn't know it's Ryan) to stay with her after she's just revealed that she's dying of Kryptonite poisoning
- Alice asks her twin sister to do the same after Kate reveals she chose Beth's life over Alice's.
- Superman Stays Out of Gotham: There is little, if any, mention of Oliver and/or Barry in this series. Justified in the Elseworlds crossover where Kate all but orders the two, Oliver especially, to stay out of Gotham owing to her dislike of other heroes in her city. Kara, however, is quite welcome. And now there's the issue of Jefferson never showing up in this show.
- The Commissioner Gordon: Sophie, though somewhat reluctant at first, starts fulfilling this role.
- The Cowl: Commonly Ryan's advance tactic for the element of surprise.
- The Smart Guy: Luke Fox
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Ryan's code. Kate's too, until she murders Cartwright with her bare hands for torturing her sister and killing her mother
- Trauma Conga Line: Alice. They just keep piling on.
- Utility Belt.
- You No Take Candle: How Kate's 'trainer' speaks, otherwise staying silent in a series of offensive stereotypes.
- New Hero, New Suit: First Look at Javicia Leslie in the New Batwoman Suit (October 2020)
- CW Press Release via The Futon Critic (August 2018)