|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Think of the most famous conflict of the last century.
Now think of it with some changes.
An ongoing fic concerning a rewritten history, told from the points of view of Original Characters such as Captain Von Groebel, and Dishonorably Discharged Fredrick "Fritz" Adler, of the German army, and established characters such as Alicia Melchiott, and the occasional real life German and Italian dictator, though the former only appeared in the geopolitical setting-up of things.
- And I'd damn well better know all this. I'm the guy writing it.
It's a work in progress, but if you want to read it, be my guest, read it here.
Examples: Note: only the tropes used by Original Characters will be listed here.
- AKA-47: Bengal Tigers are the real-life King Tiger, though they only use the name "Bengal Tiger" from the German point-of-veiw.
- Actually, the King Tiger's unofficial German name was 'K?stiger' (Bengal Tiger)
- All Germans Are Nazis: Averted; in fact, dispite being set in the Wehrmacht during 1939-1945, the 9th has a pretty distinct lack of Nazis.
- Alternate History: Starting with Gallia. Then it's all downhill, history-wise, from there.
- Attempted Rape: Adler, to Alicia. Word of God is that Selka did it to prevent him from going out with Alicia/Adler. It seems to have worked.
- Subverted, in that he later succeeds in doing so.
- Anyone Can Die: At a slow rate, albeit, but they can all die. This includes Welkin, who is killed by none other than Hugo Stiglitz.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Klaus Werner
- Cameo: Look for Sargent Schultz from Hogan's Heroes in there.
- Crossover: With Codename: Panzers (for a while, Welkin took his orders from Hans von Grobel). More Recently, Frederick Zoller and Hugo Stiglitz of Inglourious Basterds fame appeared.
- Did Not Do the Research: Averted, and the author is also willing to clear things up.
- Dirty Communists: When the 9th goes against the Russian army, you can predict what their overall opinion of the Russians are.
- Expy: Schneider; He's a Pyro, after all.
- Face Heel Turn: Sargent Adler gets one, as a result of his liking of Alicia,, and what that results in.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The Author confessed that Bergmann's squad B could be a fairly literal take on the "Squad" part.
- Stalker with a Crush: Adler is heavily implied to be one of these.
- Someone to Remember Him By: The sole thing that saves Juno Coren.
- Tank Goodness: Assault Matildas, Bengal/King Tigers.
- Those Wacky Nazis / Nazis With Gnarly Weapons / Stupid Jetpack Hitler : Hmm...
- Translation Convention: You can generally tell the fic's current POV by whether or not VC characters are speaking German (or, are speaking with accents).
- Putting on the Reich: 2nd Lieutenant Klaus Werner. Before he gets sniped, at least.
- Adler, to a degree, after what he becomes a bad guy, since he steals an SS Officer's uniform and Identification.
- Morning Sickness: Juno spends the night in her own room when Stiglitz kills Welkin, on account of her queasiness.
- One Steve Limit: Averted, and played with. There are multiple characters named "Hans" (Hans von Groebel, Hans Bieber, Hans the porcavian, etc), and the rule is then bent on itself with Edward Nelson, who responds to Eddie (Compare to Edy Nelson). He's a Bren Gunner, and his name is lampshaded.
- Edward: Did I ever tell you about my cousin who...
- Smith: Yes, you've told me about Edy thirty times now!