|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Ballykissangel is a BBC show which aired from 1996 to 2001. Peter Clifford, an English Catholic priest, is sent from England to work in a small Irish village.
Tropes featured include:
- Downer Ending: Father Clifford decides to renounce his faith to marry Assumpta. Assumpta randomly gets struck by lightning. Father Clifford's remaining faith is shattered, and he leaves forever, brokenhearted.
- If I Had a Nickel: In "River Dance":
Assumpta: Thanks for last night. You were good.
Enda: If I had a pound for every time a woman said that to me...
- My Local: Fitzgerald's.
- Oop North: Father Clifford was a Manchester native.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Both leads leave after season 4. Father Clifford gets replaced by Father Aiden O'Connell, an ex-monk, and later Father Vincent Sheahan, an Australian. Assumpta gets replaced by Oonagh as the Fitzgerald's landlady. The Will They or Won't They? plots get farmed out to other pairings.
- Will They or Won't They? Between Peter and Assumpta. Other couples in later seasons.