|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Originally released in 1990 for the Game Boy, Balloon Kid is a sequel to the NES classic Balloon Fight. The player controls a girl named Alice whose goal is to rescue her little brother, who floated away after attaching too many balloons to himself. With two balloons of her own to represent her Hit Points, Alice floats through several stages that scroll from right to left, collecting balloons and avoiding spikes, birds and other enemies.
This game provides examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: After overcoming all sorts of deadly hazards, Alice is finally reunited with her brother. Together they fly back home as the credits roll and the beautiful ending theme plays... and then a sneaky enemy bumps into Alice, which makes her drop Jim into the sea!
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Birds, bats, crabs, campfires, walking flames, bears, alligators, penguins, crabs, walruses, and more. They want Alice dead for some reason.
- Eternal Engine: The eighth and final stage takes place in a factory.
- Lost Woods: The second level takes place inside a forest.
- Nintendo Hard: Watch this Let's Play of the Famicom port, if you want to see Hello Kitty make a grown man cry.
- Mini Game: Every so often, Alice can enter one, where balloons rise from four pipes.
- Palmtree Panic: The third stage takes place on a beach. Just watch out for the crabs.
- Press X to Die: Pressing B in midair releases your balloons. If done wrong, you'll crash into the water.
- Remade for the Export: Inverted. The original monochrome Game Boy version was never released in Japan, but it was remade a decade later for the Game Boy Color under the title of Balloon Fight GB. There was also a licensed Famicom port titled Hello Kitty World, which replaced the original characters with Sanrio mascots.
- Ribcage Stomach: The fourth stage takes place inside a whale.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The sixth level takes place on a frozen island, full of water, ice and evil walruses.
- Spikes of Doom: Touching these instantly defeats Alice, regardless of health.
- Super Drowning Skills: Falling into the water costs you a life. If a fish (or frog) catches you, it drags you into the water, also costing you a life.
- Tin Can Robot: The final boss.
- Underground Level: The seventh level.
- X-Ray Sparks: When Alice gets hit by lightning sparks.