|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
- Naruto's 'Ninja Way'
I never give up... I never go back on my word... that's my way of the ninja!
- Every time Roger Smith powers up The Big O, the internal display flashes the message "Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty".
- The titular Devil Hunter Yohko
"I hold no enmity against those coerced into evil, but to those vile beings who toy with the hearts and souls of men, since the time of ancient gods, we have been your destroyers! Now the 108th Devil Hunter Yohko is here!"
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: "Go Beyond the Impossible and kick reason to the curb! That's the Gurren-dan way!"
"Do the impossible
See the invisible
Touch the untouchable
Break the unbreakable!
RAW RAW FIGHT THE POWER!"
- "Who the hell do you think I am?"
- The entirety of Dai Gurren-dan in the beginning of the final episode, each one contributing a line, with the entire ensemble joining in during the last few lines:
"Even when trapped by karma's cycle..."
"...The dreams we left behind will open the door!"
"Even if the Universe stands in our way..."
"...our seething blood will determine what will be!"
"We'll break through time and space!"
"And defy all who would stop us, to grab hold of our path!"
"Tengen Toppa... Gurren Lagann!"
"JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!"
- The fact that they say that standing on top of a galaxy, on fire, helps a bit.
- Similarly, Episode 8. "If there's a wall in our way, we smash it down! If there isn't a path, we carve it out ourselves! The magma of our souls burns with a mighty flame! Super Ultra Combining, Gurren Lagann! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?
- Bonus points because one of them was dead and had badassed himself back to life in order to deliver this speech. A nearby volcano spontaneously exploded right after they finished their speech, like if saying "Word."
- Archer, from Fate Stay Night:
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.
- Then there's the literal translation as opposed to the official Engrish:
His body is made out of swords.
His blood is of iron and his heart of glass.
He survived through countless battles.
Not even once retreating,
Not even once being understood.
He was always alone.
Intoxicated with victory in a hill of swords.
Thus, his life has no meaning.
That body was, certainly made out of swords.
- Later adopted by Shirou:
"I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unaware of loss.
Nor aware of gain.
Withstood pain to create weapons, waiting for one's arrival.
I have no regrets, this is the only path.
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works."
- And finally, used by Kotomine as a similar spell invocation:
"I will kill. I will let live. I will harm and heal. None will escape me. None will escape my sight.-- Ask for forgiveness here. I, the incarnation, will swear.
I welcome those who have grown old and those who have lost.
Devote yourself to me, learn from me, and obey me.
Rest. Do not forget song, do not forget prayer, and do not forget me.
I am light and relieve you of all your burdens.
Do not pretend. Retribution for Forgiveness, betrayal for trust, despair for hope, darkness for light, dark death for the living.
Relief is in my hands. I will add oil to your sins and leave a mark.
Eternal life is given through death.
- The creed of the Lovelace family from Black Lagoon:
Una bendición por los vivos, una rama de flor por los muertos.
Con una espada por la justicia, un castigo de muerte para los malvados.
Así llegaremos en el altar de los santos.
A blessing for the living, a bunch of flowers for the dead.
With a sword of justice, a punishment of death for the wicked.
Thus shall we arrive at the altar of the saints.
- Roberta's oath as the Bloodhound of Florencia:
"In the name of Santa Maria, a hammer blow of righteousness to all injustice."
- A chapter-length example from the Hellsing manga:
We ask o' thee: Whit art thou?
We are Iscariot, the Zealot Judas!
In that case, Iscariot, we ask o' thee: Whit dost thou hold in thy right hand?
Daggers and poisons!
In that case, Iscariot, we ask o' thee: Whit dost thou hold in thy left hand?
Thirty silver pieces and a rope!
In that case, Iscariot, whit art thou?
As apostles, yet not as apostles.
As adherents, yet not as adherents.
As believers, yet not as believers.
As traitors, yet not as traitors.
We are disciples of death, the Death Disciple Group,
Only bowing and praying forgiveness of the Lord;
Only bowing and defeating the enemies of the Lord.
Wielding our dagger in the night and poisoning the evening meal,
We are assassins; the Assassin Judas.
When the time comes, we shall cast our thirty silver pieces at the altar
And hang thy head from our rope.
Thereby we shall fall to Hell in cabal.
Lined up in square formation, we seek to do battle with the 7405926 demons of Hell.
- As Major said in his legendary speech:
Gentlemen, I love war!..
- Or even the creed of Hellsing themselves
In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.
- Busou Renkin gives us a badass creed for a rather pathetic organization, the L.X.E. In call-and-response form, as it's also the sign-countersign password:
"From the earth?"
"A base metal."
"From the sky?"
"From my veins?"
"The fate of the world..."
- Dramatic pose* "Is on my back!"
- Tokiko Tsumura has one as her catchphrase.
"I'll splatter your guts!"
- Justin Law has one that gets recited before his Law Abiding Silver Gun attack:
"We, the people of the city of death, beseech you, our God, as Christ is just
Oh God, let me be an instrument of your peace
I am a pillar of justice
A blade of faith
In the name of the father, and of the son, and of the holy spirit
"Law Abiding Silver Gun"
"Cooking is a gift from Heaven, Spices are a gift from Hell. Looks like the heat was too much for you."
- Two things: He's a Chef, and he had just learned to battle with a flaming leg.
- The titular creed from Noir:
"Noir. It is the name of an ancient fate. Two maidens who govern death. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect."
"Noir. It is the name of an ancient fate. Two maidens who govern death. To the depths of Hell's fire, their black souls lure the lost children."
"Noir. It is the name of an ancient fate. Two maidens who govern death. To ward the darkness from the nursing babes, their black robes serve as shields."
- Saiyuki used an interesting one in the promos and trailers of the English dub, taken from the Chin Yisou episodes. It's an explanation of "muichimotsu," "hold nothing," and something Sanzo's master taught him.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet your father, kill your father. Free of everything you are bound by nothing, live the life that is given to you.
- In Bleach, most Soul Reapers have one or two words, followed by their Zanpaktou's name, as their shikai command. Captain Kyoraku Shunsui has a four-line poem.
Flower Wind Rage and
Flower God Roar,
Heavenly Wind Rage and
Heavenly Demon Sneer
- There's also one chant that Soul Reapers say before going into battle that has fallen out of style, but Renji has everyone do it when Ichigo's group invades Las Noches:
As we approach the crucial battleground ... Believe... that our blades will not shatter! Believe... that our resolve will not weaken! Though our paths may diverge, our iron hearts willl remain together! Swear... that though the land itself should break asunder... we will... come back here... ALIVE!!
- Two members of the 11th Division, the division known as the most bloodthirsty and combative, gave a glimpse into 11th Division sparring rules. saying them together. "The loser goes to get the booze, and the winner takes a break while waiting. If you hold back, I'll kill you!"
- Zangetsu constantly reminds Ichigo, "Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. Retreat and you age. Hesitate and you die."
- They're only badass if they mean it. In Rurouni Kenshin, Saitoh Hajime has one of these:
Aku Soku Zan ("Swift Death to Evil.")
- The hero Sasha of manga Seikon no Qwaser has several, but the one in chapter 15 is special! Written in Gratuitous RUSSIAN and maybe even a Shout-Out to Unlimited Blade Works above:
My Heart is metal
My body is black steel
Responding to the calling
The echoing in my hear in nothing except your heartbeat
As my hearts trembles
Black steel and spilt blood surge together
They are my sword of flesh blood
Engraved by the stigma, the proof of a warrior
- The Wolkenritter from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, after their resurrection.
Signum: We are the the guardian knights who gather before our mistress, she of the night sky.
Shamal: As long as our mistress exists, our souls will never extinguish.
Zafira: As long as we have life in our bodies, we will stand by each other.
Vita: We will always exist before our mistress, Queen of the Night Sky, Yagami Hayate.
- Said creed also serves as an extremely epic announcement of the Queen of the Night Sky's (that is, Post-Unison Hayate) first arrival to the material plane, which also doubles as her Awesome Moment of Crowning of sorts. A bit of Fridge Brilliance there, as royalty usually sends heralds before them to announce their presence.
- VICTORY GOES.....TO THOSE WITH COURAGE!!!
- The Oath Sworn through Courage, which was the heart of FINAL
- Also... LET'S BREAK STUFF!!!
- Captain Harlock's declaration in Arcadia Of My Youth:
"We will never surrender. We will never beg aid from others. And we will never fight under any other flag than this!"
- In the Name of the Moon, I shall punish you!
- The Devil Bats of Eyeshield 21 keep it simple. "WE'RE GONNA KILL 'EM...! YA-HA!"
- And the White Knights have the much more subtle, "Glory on the kingdom!"
- From the Sakura Taisen theme
[Sakura] "We will fight for justice!"
[Maria] "Even ifï»¿ we have to risk our lives for the sake of this war!"
[Kanna] "We will stand our ground!"
[Iris] "Someday, this imperial capital ..."
[Kouran] "Till the day the evil disappears ..."
[Sumire] "We will continue to fight in this war!"
[All] "We are the Imperial Flower Attack Group
- Gaiking legend of Daiku-Maryu gives us few, most memorable one:
[Daiya] "You don't get it do you? You dont win because you strong. The ones who don't give up win in the end! That's why in the end the winners... Are we!!"
Not giving up part doubles as Arc Words to be later used by Nouza.
- When D'Eon de Beaumont is possessed by his deceased, secret agent sister Lia (it is a long story), she tends to drop some variant of this little gem from her inital post-mortem appearance:
Lia: Deliver my soul.
Put them in fear, O Lord, that the nations may know themselves to be but men.
In the beginning was the Word; deliver my soul.
The Lord brings my soul out of trouble.
He cuts off my enemies, and destroys all those that afflict my soul.
In the name of that truth and loyalty, I shall take my vengeance.
- For the world and for the people, Daitarn 3 is here to smash evil ambitions. If you do not fear the shine of the Sun, then come and bring it!
- Domon Kasshu has one that he says every time he is about to use a Finishing Move. The most famous one is the one he uses to unleash Shining Finger.
- This is only to be expected, being a technique from...
The School of the Undefeated of the East!
The Winds of the King!
LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!
- The anime Spider Riders had a few examples. "Never Give Up!" being one of the most memorable. Aqune had the very Badass "Oracle's Light!".
- I am the hope of the universe, the sworn protector of the planet Earth! I am the answer to all beings everywhere in pain who cry out for help! I ... am called Goku! And I AM A SUPER SAIYAN!!!!
- Also "Ally to good! Nightmare to you."