|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- 8.8: He got a bigger backlash than Equilibrium for giving Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen a better written review than Inglourious Basterds. He eventually changes his opinion on it when he does a video review.
- Growing the Beard: Film Brain's general setup hasn't changed, but there's a general change in focus from the early episodes and especially following the hiatus. His voice has got more relaxed and his Screenwipe influence has become more obvious.
- Hate Dumb: A vocal fraction of Spoony's fans reacted with hostility towards Film Brain when he co-reviewed the Tekken live-action movie, apparently only because of a speech quirk. They even said Spoony should never do a Crossover with TGWTG people again. Thankfully not all of Spoony's fans are that butthurt.
Film Brain: Oh, shit! Spoony, it's your fans! They brought a battering ram!
Spoony: Dude, I tried to warn you! My fans, they're insane! They formed a mob to stop more Film Brain crossovers!
- Perhaps even worse was the backlash of when he did this crossover with Brad Jones - comments range from taking Snob's scripted insults seriously (and congratulating him on "putting Film Brain in his place") to claiming the Cinema Snob was Ruined FOREVER because of the crossover to complaining about everything from his age to his opinion over movies he'd reviewed. It got so bad, in fact, that Brad, who very rarely replies to comments on his videos, eventually had to step in.
"Guys, seriously, Matt is my friend; it's okay to criticize, but be respectful and leave hateful comments out of it."
- He Panned It, Now He Sucks:
- Film Brain got a bit of a backlash after panning Cult Classic Equilibrium.
- He also gives nods to the reaction in later reviews.
- It happened again after he gave a lower rating to Inglourious Basterds than the aforementioned Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
- In a subversion, he reviewed Seven Pounds expecting controversy to rival Equilibrium, only for most of the comments to agree with him on how disturbing and manipulative the movie was.
- It's happened yet again with his review of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, despite the film having already gotten mixed reviews. He did try to stem this by having Welshy do a counterpoint to the review to display some of the legitimate arguments that could be made against his, while still giving his honest opinion on the subject.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In the Equilibrium review, he shouts "Puppy power!" at one point.
- The Scrappy: Film Brain is this to the That Guy With The Glasses community, particularly for his work on his earliest reviews. He acknowledged in a joke when he refers to "all three" of his longtime fans. It was also lampshaded in Kickassia and his commentary of it. He's since been Rescued From the Scrappy Heap.
- Lampshaded/spoofed in his Crossover with Obscurus Lupa, where she claims to be the most annoying person on the site. Matthew replies that her graph is America-only, going worldwide he still wins.
- Professor Celluloid seems to have few fans, which is probably why he's seen less in later episodes. Buck has also said the reason the character is rarely seen, is to avoid accusations of being a Dr Insano rip-off.
- The Woobie: Borders on this in his Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen review, when he breaks down upon seeing the infamous "enemy scrotum" scene, having an especially hostile Spoony call him out on his original written review of the film, and realizing his mistake while Spoony sarcastically speculates on the symbolism of the aforementioned scene.