|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Bad Brains are an American Hardcore Punk and Reggae band from Washington, D.C. All of the members of Bad Brains are devout Rastafarians, and this is referenced in some of their songs such as "I Luv I Jah." Along with Black Flag and Minor Threat, they are one of the pioneers of Hardcore Punk, and have influenced dozens of diverse musicians, such as Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, and Rage Against the Machine.
Tropes that apply to Bad Brains:
- The Band Minus the Face: vocalist H.R. left the group for a spell in the early 90's, and the album Rise had Israel Joseph I on vocals instead. While he didn't record anything with the band, Chuck Mosley was also a brief H.R. replacement during the same period. Israel Joseph I even briefly filled in for H.R. again in 2009 - they had booked a tour in South America and H.R. couldn't make it.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: They went the "Song/Album/Lyric Bands" route, naming themselves after the song "Bad Brain" by The Ramones.
- Intentionally Awkward Title: "Pay to Cum"
- New Sound Album: I Against I added more heavy metal and funk influences to their sound, although elements of hardcore were still present.
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: Especially prevalent on Bad Brains and Rock For Light, where fast and angry-sounding hardcore punk songs are occasionally broken up by a gentle, downtempo reggae track or two, such as "I Luv I Jah" or "Rally 'Round Jah Throne."