|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Azealia Banks (1991-) is an American rapper and singer, who rose to fame after her music video "212" went viral in late 2011. Her wild persona and explicit rapping style have put her in direct comparison by critics and bloggers to fellow female rapper Nicki Minaj; the two even attended the same high school, albeit in different years. After a failed record deal with XL, Azealia signed to Universal in 2012, and is currently at work on her debut album, Broke With Expensive Taste.
- Fantasea (2012)
- 1991 EP (2012)
- Broke With Expensive Taste (2012)
Azealia Banks provides examples of:
- Ascended Fangirl: Azealia has been said to be a big Bloc Party fan, and who is producing her debut album? Bloc Party's frequent collaborator, Paul Epworth!
- Bi the Way
- Big Applesauce: Azealia was born in raised in New York City, something she brags about in "Bambi".
- Boastful Rap
- Catch Phrase: The "I guess that cunt getting' eaten" line in "212", arguably. You can even purchase a shirt with the lyric on it here.
- The Cameo: Azealia lends some uncredited vocals on the Scissor Sisters' "Shady Love".
- Dream Team: There seems to be an overlap between Azealia's fans and Lana Del Rey's, so it's probably unsurprising that the two have been rumored to be working together; Azealia most recently provided a verse on a remix of Lana'a "Blue Jeans."
- Gay Paree: The setting of her "Liquorice" video.
- Memetic Outfit: The Mickey Mouse sweater she wears in the "212" video; it even has its own Twitter page!
- Montreal: Azealia spent a summer there, and is also where the "212" video was shot.
- The Muse: She's become one (of sorts) to Karl Lagerfeld and Nicola Formichetti (of Thierry Mugler).
- Refuge in Audacity: And how. Azealia has no filter.
- Refuge in Vulgarity: Have you heard "212"?!
- Sampling: With the exception of Paul Epworth-produced "Babmi" and her cover of Interpol's "Slow Hands", all of her songs to date have been either beats that Azealia rapped over or existing tracks that have been sampled (like Ladytron's "17").
- Screwed by The Label: Azealia originally signed with XL in 2009, but the deal ended up falling through when they had no idea what to do with her. "212" was written as a last ditch effort to impress them.
- Something Completely Different: Though she primarily makes Hip Hop music, Azealia has claimed to be very inspired by Alternative Rock and musical theater.
- Take That: Many have speculated that "212" is a dig at Nicki Minaj, though Azealia has said that it's not the case.
- Your Cheating Heart: "NEEDSUMLUV" is about being the other woman in a relationship.