|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Attacker You! (アタッカーYOU! Atakkā Yū!) is a 1984 Japanese manga series by Jun Makimura and Shizuo Koizumi, published by Kodansha. It originally ran in Nakayoshi from 1985 to 1985, and had 2 volumes.
An anime series, consisting of 58 episodes of 24 minutes each, was produced by Knack Productions and broadcast by TV Tokyo from April 13, 1984 to June 21, 1985. The DVD version was released in Japan on August 20, 2004. While the Japanese considered the series merely So Okay It's Average, especially compared to a classic like Attack N°1, the Europeans absolutely fell in love with it - especially Italians, Spaniards, French, Portuguese and Poles.
The story is about You Hazuki, a headstrong girl who lives in the Japanese countryside with her grandparents. Her father Toshihiko is a very busy and famous photographer and cameraman so he's been travelling abroads for a long time, and her mother is not really accounted for. And if there's something she's very passionate and dedicated to, is her favorite sport -- volleyball. Even when her father disappoves both of it and of her fangirling of the former volleyball star, now sports commenter Kanako Tajima...
Suddenly, You has to move to Tokyo so she can live with her dad and her new adoptive brother, a little boy named Sunny who hails from Peru. Her life becomes even more chaotic when she joins Hikawa Junior High and its volleyball team, led by the Alpha Bitch Nami Hayase and the sadistic instructor Matsugoro Daimon. And then You not only has a hard time fitting in the team itself at first, but also gets a crush on the same guy Nami loves: the handsome, kind volleyball player Shou Takiki.
But You is not giving up, nope. She's really fucking stubborn and confident, and she'll keep going on no matter what. She gets close to Shou, more or less manages to befriend Nami, and also becomes pals with an ace attacker called Eri Takigawa. The three girls decide to keep going on and become stronger, so they can become the strongest players in Japan.
There's also a Chinese-Japanese sequel named New Attacker You (続・アタッカーYOU 金メダルへの道 Zoku atakkā YOU- kin medaru e no michi), made in 2008 and distributed on DVD. It takes place in China rather than Japan and has a You who almost had to give up on her career due to injuries, but who's called by Nami and Sho to help save a Chinese team named the Dragon Ladies that is about to be disbanded...
- The Ace: Sho and Eri. With time, You.
- Adaptational Villainy: Coach Daimon was not abusive in the manga.
- Alpha Bitch: Nami, at the start. She evolves into a Lovable Alpha Bitch with time, however. (Though she had some LAB sprinkles from the very beginning)
- Big Damn Heroes: In the anime, Sunny almost gets hit by a car as he carelessly crosses the street to greet You. Eri saves him... via throwing a volley ball at him to push him out of the way.
- Canon Foreigner: Sunny. Kanako, in a way: as said below You's mother is dead in the manga, but that was changed in the anime itself.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: You is this to Shou, and also to Coach Mitamura. Lampshaded in the OP, where she clings to an awkward-looking Mitamura in front of an Eri who's all "just WHAT are you doing?!"
- Family Versus Career: In the anime, Kanako chose her volleyball career over Toshihiko and little You. She still cares for You, though.
- Genki Girl: You.
- Fiery Redhead: YOU. More or less averted by Eri, though.
- Humble Pie: Nami has to eat a quite big slice of this in episode 10, and she more or less defrosts afterwards.
- Locked Out of the Loop: You doesn't know that Kanako is her estranged mother. Kanako isn't eager to tell her, and Toshihiko doesn't say a peep either.
- Love Dodecahedron: You and Nami want Shou, who leans somewhat more to You but doesn't fully commit since both have their teams. Despite liking Shou, You also kinda crushes on Coach Mitamura. Tazaki is You's biggest fanboy and crushes on her after she defeats him in a fight.
- Missing Mom: In the manga, You's mother died when she was an infant. In the anime, however, she is Kanako Tajima, the ex-sportswoman that You idolizes.
- New Transfer Student: You
- Parents as People: Toshihiko loves his biological daughter You and adoptive son Sunny, but struggles at times with them.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Oh yes!
- Related in the Adaptation: In a way. Some dubs (ie., the Italian one) make You a younger cousin of Kozue from Attack N°1 who took up volleyball to follow her example.
- Sadist Teacher: Coach Daimon, who even applies Corporal Punishment to his pupils.
- Sailor Fuku: Subverted: You wears a black and white one... at the beginning, since she's a New Transfer Student. Hikawa Junior High has blazers for the girls and gakuran for the boys, and You puts hers on very soon.
- Sports Stories
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Rather curiously, guys (save for Sunny) tend to have normal dark brown/black hair while ladies have more "variety": Eri and You are redheads, Nami has blue hair, Kanako is a blonde...