|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Known as Attack No. 1 (アタックNo.1, Atakku Nanbā Wan), the first televised female sports anime and a Trope Codifier regarding shoujo manga in general. The manga was written by Chikako Urano in 1968, and the anime began in late 1969 and ran through 1971. First mean to capitalize on the success of the 1964 Olympic volleyball team, it ended up bringing more mature fans to the Shoujo genre, compared to Sally the Witch's success in that time.
Kozue Ayuhara is the heroine, who transfers to Fujimi high and impresses the volleyball coach when she tries out for the volleyball team. After making friends and enemies, the story highlights her struggles and triumphs as she matures and tries her hardest to become the best volleyball player in the school, Japan and the world.
Inspired the series Attacker You! and Attack On Tomorrow (made several years later by a different animation studio but featuring several of the same staff). Even in 2006, it still ranked #9 out of 100 in the list of celebrities' favorite anime. In 2005 a live-action drama was made based on the series. The original anime also has many fans in Europe, particularly in Germany, where it was shown as Mila Superstar (with Kozue renamed Mila).
- Bragging Theme Tune: The OP has a girl (surely Kozue) telling the audience about her undying love and passion regarding volleyball, and how no matter what she will be Number 1.
- Dolled-Up Installment: In the Italian version, the completely unrelated Attacker You! was turned into a spin off of Attack No. 1 by turning the main character into a cousin of Kozue, who inspires her to take up volleyball.
- Hair Decorations: The easiest way to distinguish which girl is which is by their headbands or bows. Kozue has a big yellow bow, for example.
- Gaming and Sports Anime And Manga
- Gratuitous English: ATTAKU, ATTAKU, NANBA WAN!!
- Ill Girl: Kozue.
- Melodrama: Mostly the live-action.
- New Transfer Student: Kozue
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Midori and Kozue. Midori first is jealous of her, but they soon grow to be extremely close.
- Serious Business: The sport! It's so serious she couldn't leave one game to visit her dying boyfriend in the hospital.
- To Be a Master: As per usual in 70's anime, the No. 1 tracksuit is coveted by all on the team.
- Tournament Arc
- Training From Hell: As was popular in most early sports anime. It's seen even in the OP, where Kozue gets pelted with volleyballs as she trains and ends up lying across the court... but still gets up.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Midori and Tsutomu
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?: Well, it is a sports anime...