|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- And the Fandom Rejoiced: Many fans originally showed minimal interest in the film until it was brought to light that Mike Mignola was assisting with the visual design.
- Broken Aesop: Milo is an academic idealist, his quest for knowledge and the thrill of discovery or having his theories proven true the only things that drive him. The rest of the crew are in it for the money, but seem to slowly learn that the value of their experiences in Atlantis stretches far beyond that. However, the end of the film sees Milo staying behind, as the rest of the crew return to the surface, bringing with them loads of valuable Atlantean treasures - so, it was about the money for them after all?
- I think you are missing the point. Their motivation was ALWAYS about money period, they just realized killing people to get it isn't a step they want to take and isn't worth it.
- Creepy Awesome: It's mentioned in the DVD commentary that after test screenings, the filmmakers asked kids what the scariest scene in the movie was. The answers were invariably either the climactic battle or the Leviathan. Kids were also asked what their favorite scene in the movie was...and the answers were invariably either the climactic battle or the Leviathan.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The soundtrack is by James Newton Howard. A special mention must go to "The Crystal Chamber".
- Cult Classic: As with Treasure Planet, this film is becoming one. It doesn't hurt Doug Walker put it on his Top 11 movies he likes but everyone else hates list, even though hate is a bit too strong a word for how most people feel about the film when compared to certain other entries in the Canon.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Vinny is arguably the most popular character.
- Official-wise, it's ______ and Helga that are marketed more.
- Genius Bonus: Pay attention to the fish in Whitmore's mansion. They're coelacanths, an ancient and mysterious "missing link"-esque creature...which were believed extinct until 1938. The movie's set in 1914. Presumably, Whitmore's just that awesome an explorer.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The Atlanteans, being an Ambiguously Brown ancestor race, have dark skin and blue eyes, meaning they resemble the ancient Briton known as the Cheddar Man who also predates modern ethnic divisions. However, Cheddar Man was only discovered to have this appearance in 2018, over a decade after this film.
- Magnificent Bastard: Whitmore. At the very least, he has magnificent organisational skills.
- Nightmare Fuel: You betcha.
- Theiss Titillation Theory: Kida's Atlantean clothing bares much skin. Okay, so that's an Atlantean thing. Helga, on the other hand, wears some things with straps. Often, there is only one firmly on a shoulder at at time...
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.