|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A novel by Diana Wynne Jones. The protagonist's father--an author--is visited by a mysterious figure, who demands that he write two thousand words of gibberish.
- Amnesiac Dissonance
- Ambiguously Gay: Torquil. Has a great love for theatrical outfits (eyeliner included), shopping, and disco dancers. This trope is even more true for the TV miniseries.
- Dumb Muscle: The Goon. Except he's not.
- Fountain of Youth Venturus.
- Large and In Charge
- Left Hanging: The origins of the seven siblings is never explained.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Only with siblings.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Archer, more so in the miniseries than the book.
- Mouthy Kid: Awful.
- Muggle Foster Parents
- Obfuscating Stupidity Erskine.
- Overnight Age-Up
- Portal to the Past: A door in the museum turns out to be a portal. Handy.
- Rewriting Reality: Archer enchants a typewriter to do this.
- Stripperiffic / Hell-Bent for Leather: Shine. She's somewhat fatter than your usual Vamp, though.
- Timey-Wimey Ball
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Shine and Dillian.
- Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys?: Paid for by taxes, it turns out.
- Tomato in the Mirror
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.