"Well I’ve been doing it for about twenty years, I did films when I was a little kid, when I was about six or seven, I was in films and I had this really high voice, I did a series called Dinobabies, that was my first one. And then after that I did Madeline, yeah so it just kind of happened and then never went away. Then everyone said your voice is going to change and you’ll be out... No, no, still on helium."—Andrea Libman summing up her career.
Help describe Andrea Libman, that is, um, if you don't mind...
Need a cute voice to go with an absolutely cute character? Look no further than Andrea Libman!
Andrea Libman is a Canadian voice actress working with The Ocean Group, who has a knack for voicing cute girls. Andrea started off as a child actress in Vancouver based shows and movies, such as Highlander, Little Women, and a notable appearance in an episode of The X Files, "Born Again", as a cute yet possessed killer little girl. She eventually focused on voice over roles, starting with Dinobabies and a little known character named Madeline, mostly because she got braces for a while so live action people didn't want her but also because she's a tad camera shy.
Her notable Western roles include Emmy of Dragon Tales, young AndrAIa in Re Boot, Lemon Meringue in Strawberry Shortcake, Harmony Bear in Care Bears: Adventures in Care-A-Lot, and of course Pinkie Pie & Fluttershy in My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic, characters that couldn't be any more different beyond the fact that they're cute and high-pitched. Andrea also voiced Zipzee and Sweetie Belle in the G3 era of My Little Pony, which in her own words was "just sweet, sweet, sweet." She was also the original voice of X-23 when the character debuted in X-Men Evolution, so she's got some super hero cred under her belt, too. Upcoming roles include Cylindria in the upcoming Pac-Man cartoon and the title character of the Maya the Bee remake. Pseudo-gamer cred and more cute!
Like other Ocean Group actors she's done her share of anime dubs, notably Chi Chi in Dragon Ball and Mileina Vashti in Mobile Suit Gundam 00, who is described elsewhere on This Wiki as "Pinkie Pie if she weren't hyper". Still cute.
Before the memetic popularity of ponies, her most famous role would probably be that of cute classic children's book character Madeline, whom she played in the 1990s series The New Adventures of Madeline and movie Lost in Paris. After the movie she was replaced by Chantal Strand, who would also go on to voice a pink pony in Friendship is Magic.
- The Cutie: In case you didn't get the message by now, she voices a lot of cute characters.
- Funny Character Boring Actor: Despite voicing the hyperactive Pinkie Pie, she doesn't fancy herself as being that all that funny. Compare her Twitter feed to say pony-co-star Tara Strong's Twitter feed.
- Hair of Gold
- Hidden Depths: In addition to being a talented voice actress, she is also a piano teacher and has a degree in civil engineering.
- Playing Against Type: X-23. The crew of X-Men Evolution introduce this really badass character, who is essentially a female version of Wolverine, and they cast the girl best known at the time as Madeline to play her?
- Vocal Evolution: She joked at Fushicon 2011 how this hasn't happened to her, see the page quote.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: As she demonstrates in the Murphy-esque "After-Birthday Party" sequence in "Party of One".