|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
"I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt!"—T-shirt in The Order of the Stick
Your parents went on their second honeymoon, your best friend went to Paris, or you survived the scariest haunted house in the world without needing to change your underwear afterwards.
And all you got was this lousy T-shirt.
Truth in Television. These T-shirts are everywhere.
Compare And Your Reward Is Clothes.
- In The Books of Magic, Tim Hunter goes to the Dark Tower, and all he gets is, well, guess.
- The Joker wears an "I Killed Jason Todd And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt" on an alternate cover to Batman #619. It's fairly popular with Joker cosplayers.
- America (The Book) has a photo of a fake 1800 presidential campaign shirt that read "I endorsed the candidacy of Thomas Jefferson, for which I was inadequately compensated with this tunic of poor qualitie!"
Live Action TV
- On Sports Night, on the night of the NFL Draft, Dana gets T-shirts for the crew that say, "I survived Draft Day at Sports Night." When she insists on everyone wearing them now, Casey points out that draft day was just starting, and thus, they hadn't survived it yet.
- Married... with Children: Marcy was so drunk when she married Jefferson her only clue to the fact she got married was the "lousy t-shirt" she got at the chapel.
- One of BloodHound Gang's under rated hits is called "Hell Yeah". The lyrics from the song in question are: "To pry these God damn nails out, they're beginning to hurt. Crucified, and all I got was this lousy tee shirt"
- Variation: one of Fall Out Boy's lesser hits is called "I Slept With Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me".
- In The Order of the Stick, members of the hobgoblin horde fighting The Battle of Azure City receive T-shirts saying "I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt!" upon "killing" the illusion forms of several members of the titular party.
- And several strips later the goblins encounter Haley and Belkar, and say that maybe they handed out the T-shirts too soon.