|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Anberlin is an alternative rock band formed in 2002. They released three records under independent label Tooth & Nail Records before being signed to Universal Republic in 2007. Their first single from major label debut New Surrender, "Feel Good Drag", a remake of a song from their sophomore album Never Take Friendship Personal, reached number one on the modern rock charts and gave them mainstream success.
- Blueprints for the Black Market (2003)
- Never Take Friendship Personal (2005)
- Cities (2007)
- New Surrender (2008)
- Dark Is the Way, Light Is A Place (2010)
- Stephen Christian (vocals)
- Deon Rexroat (bass)
- Nathan Young (drums)
- Joesph Milligan (lead guitar)
- Christian McAlhaney (rhythm guitar)
- Audience Participation Song: A few lines and the "woah-oh-oh-oh"s in "Godspeed". During their most recent tour, Stephen would tell the audience to call the person next to them on their cell phone and hold the phones to each other during their acoustic cover of "Mother".
- Base Breaker: Dark Is the Way, Light Is A Place is either their comeback from the mediocre New Surrender or a big step in the wrong direction.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: "Fin", the epic closer for Cities, is universally loved by fans and is often called their best.
- Epic Instrumental Opener: "Debut", a separate track that serves as the opening for "Godspeed" (and the album itself).
- Epic Rocking: "Dance, Dance Christa Paffgen", "Fin", "Miserabile Visu (Ex Malo Bonum)"
- Incredibly Long Note: Stephen likes to show off occasionally. "The Haunting" and "Fin" have long notes that often become twice as long when preformed live.
- Kids Rock: "Fin"
- Love Is a Drug: "Dance, Dance Christa Paffgen"
- Not Christian Rock
- One-Woman Song: "Adelaide" was supposed to seem like this (and does), but it's actually a song Stephen wrote about... himself (and it's named after the city).
- Old Shame: Before Anberlin, a few founding members were in a Christian punk band called SaGoh 24/7. Stephen often likes to pretend this never happened.
- Religion Rant Song: "Fin" is type 3 (directed towards people in the church rather than Christianity itself).
- Sanity Slippage Song: "Reclusion". "Hello Alone" as well, though it ends on a positive note.
- Title-Only Chorus: "Closer"