|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
"And lo, I am always with you, even to the end of the earth
Parting can be such sweet sorrow, but sometimes it must be done. But what you can say is you're not truly leaving: you'll remain in spirit. This trope is no less powerful when the person is more than "leaving".
Anime and Manga
"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, You Are Not Alone."
- Superman (1978)
Jor-El: He will not be alone. He will never be alone. [snip] You will travel far, my little Kal-El. But we will never leave you, even in the face of our own deaths. [snip] You will carry me inside you all the days of your life.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [To Luke Skywalker] The Force will be with you, always.
- The Lion King: 'He Lives in You'
- John Smith says this to Pocahontas in the Disney version when he is due to be executed.
- The Land Before Time, Little Foot's mother: "I'll always be with you, even when you can't see me." In one of the sequels, the sentiment is put into song, "Always There".
- ET the Extraterrestrial - "I'll be right here."
- Alec's parting words to Alice in Swamp Thing.
- In Robert A. Heinlein's Have Space Suit Will Travel, the Mother Thing gives Kip a small item which, when held up to someone's head, gives them a warm feeling that she is loving and watching over you.
- Harry Potter: "After all this time?" "Always."
- The song by Puff Daddy, "I'll Be Missing You", a memoriam re-recording of The Police's "Every Breath You Take". What's interesting is they take the creepy stalker elements of the song and rewrite it to become this trope. Missing You is about your dead loved ones watching and waiting in heaven.
- The Phil Collins song "You'll Be In My Heart".
- Escape Club's "I'll Be There" is about a dead paramour watching his love from heaven after he's gone.
- "Sleeping With Ghosts" by Placebo - also known as "Soulmates Never Die".
- Kingdom Hearts: Kairi to Sora "Don't ever forget. Wherever you go, I'm always with you."
- May occur at the end of Persona 4. When the investigation team is sad over the protagonist leaving, one of the dialogue options is "I'll stay... in your hearts." If you choose this, it's immediately lampshaded by Kanji.
- SpongeBob SquarePants, "Fear of a Krabby Patty":
Giant Krabby Patty: Remember, SpongeBob, I will always be with you, right here. [points at SpongeBob's chest]
- Avatar: The Last Airbender : Yue to Sokka at the end of Season One.