|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Alternate Reality DBZ is the Dragon Ball Z version of Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series, created by a guy named SSJGozar. He refuses to call it DBZ The Abridged Series because every other parody series calls itself "The Abridged Series" (Just like Team Four Star's series).. Unlike Yu-Gi-Oh! and Naruto Abridged, Gozar separates the story into different situations. However it begins to take a turn like Yu-Gi-Oh!! and Naruto with doing it like a series. Similar to the other two, it mocks certain aspects of the storyline, the characters and even some lines from the original dub. However, this series is on par with Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series and Naruto Abridged.
There are currently 70 episodes.
This series provides examples of:
- The Abridged Series
- Abusive Parents - Goku to Gohan (at least mentally). Vegeta is implied to be this.
- Alternate Universe - Not only is the name of the series "Alternate Reality," the universe is sometimes even called "Alternate Reality"
- i.e. "Will Gohan be able to save Alternate Reality from Cell?" Raditz does so instead.
- Ascended Extra - Despite dying after the second episode, Raditz shows up repeatedly. Gozar's making up for the lack of screentime this villain gets (especially compared to other villains.)
- Are We There Yet?: In Episode 38, Piccolo keeps asking Goku this on their way to the location where the androids will appear. Once Goku threatens to kill him if he asks one more time, he rephrases the question.
Piccolo: Are we...not NOT there yet?
- Aw, Look -- They Really Do Love Each Other: Between Gozar and Team Four Star; a much milder and more platonic version, though. Gozar has taken his fair share of potshots at Team Four Star's series, even writing their names in the shinigami's notebook at one point forgetting that he'd need their ACTUAL names for it to work. However, he has admitted in his "Gozar Speaks" segments that he's good friends with them, and members of Team Four Star themselves have not only cameoed in ADBZ, but openly stated in their first FAQ that they like his work and would be delighted to have Gozar in one of their episodes.
- Berserk Button- For Vegeta, anything involving steroids or "Mystic"
- Episode 52 is all about the defense of penguins.
- Vegeta goes beserk when Goku tells him he does not like sprinkles on his ice cream. Twice.
- Mispronounce Manga as "main-guh," and Gohan will turn Super Saiyan 2. Add the widescreen feature to the DBZ DVDs, and he will destroy you.
- Big Damn Heroes: Vegeta.
- Big No: Vegeta, when he finds out Bulma's pregnant.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall - Gozar has shown up many times for a few non sequitur. At one point, the actual voice actor for Adult Gohan shows up, defending his character.
- Breakout Character: Vegeta.
- Brick Joke: Piccolo's love for Celine Dion in Episode 2. At the beginning of the episode, he is seen singing it, while at the end of the episode, Piccolo just wanted to listen to it one last time before he died, thus accidentally weakening Cell. Vegeta gets very pissed about it though.
- Goku's hatred for sprinkles.
- The Brute- Nappa: "Now to further stereotype the big dumbass who likes to attack the weak."
- Bumbling Dad- Frieza's dad King Cold.
King Cold: ?Hello! Hello! Hi Frieza's friends! I am Mr. Cold, Frieza's daddy. I'm so happy to finally get to meet Frieza's friends. Tell me, would you like me to make some pizza bagel bites?"
- Butt Monkey- "Mystic" Gohan
- Gohan in general never gets to do anything heroic, even when he canonically should.
- Krillin is not treated as bad as he is on Dragon Ball Z Abridged, but Vegeta keeps on calling him Dorky.
- Piccolo is one to Kid Trunks and Gotenks.
- Catch Phrase- "I'm Mystic!"
- Cereal-Induced Superpowers: Piccolo: "I'm gonna kick your (Frieza's) ass because I eat the true breakfast of champions ... Piccol-O's! The official breakfast of Celine Dion fans!"
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Gohan, who can never win a fight. But, if you mispronounce manga or add a widescreen feature on the Dragon Ball Z DVDs, he can kick anyone's ass.
- Deus Ex Machina- Vegeta in the movies.
- Everything's Better with Penguins - The moral of episode 52 is that penguins are awesome.
- Fate Worse Than Death- "AT LEAST I'M NOT A MYSTIC LOSER!"
- The 4Kids dub of One Piece is also considered something worse than death as well.
- Master Roshi Yaoi is slightly worse.
- For Cooler, it's his henchman Doore.
- The 4Kids dub of One Piece is also considered something worse than death as well.
- Flanderization - Gohan went from being hated by only Vegeta for calling himself "Mystic" to being hated by just about everyone (Except for Videl and maybe Piccolo) for the same reason.
- Also, the "Parenting with Vegeta" skits turned from Vegeta giving weird and bad parenting advices to Vegeta giving advices on how to be Abusive Parents.
- Flowery Insults:
Jeice: YOU SMELL LIKE APPLE TURNOVERS!
- Foe Yay- Goku and Cell
- May also count as No Yay
- Gilligan Cut- While not in the strictest definition, earlier it is stated that Piccolo is a huge fan of Celine Dion. In episode 14, Bardock states that he sees a vision of his son defeating Vegeta, The king responds with "That is about as likely as a badass Namekian warrior being a huge Celine Dion fan."
Something similar happens with Krillin. He is married with Android 18, but in Episode 47, he says "How can a human fall in love with a machine? You'd have to be the most desperate dorky loser in the universe."
- Played straight in Episode 22 when Vegeta refuses a bet that if the Giants beat the Patriots at the Superbowl, Gohan wouldn't be able to call himself "Mystic" anymore, not believing the then-undefeated Patriots could lose. Cut to the Giants beating the Patriots, much to his shock and rage.
- Hey, It's That Voice! - Doore from Episode 48 and 51 is voiced by Takahata101. He voices Nappa of Dragon Ball Abridged.
- Hit Me Dammit: Goku's power scares Ginyu. Goku says for him to win, all he has to do is to watch a 4Kids Episode of One Piece. Ginyu refuses and Goku tells him to keep his cool. He then says "Okay, then all you gotta do is the Body Change!". Captain Ginyu proceeds to take out Goku.
- Ho Yay - Krillin and Nail, though one-sided on Nail's part.
- Hypocritical Humor - In the first Christmas special, Vegeta scolds Piccolo for getting the lyrics to Deck The Halls wrong. A minute later, he's shown altering the lyrics to Silver Bells wrong to make it sound vulgar.
- Insistent Terminology -
AndroidJinzoningen. Gohan flips out when Cell mispronounces manga.
- It Was His Sled: At the end of Episode 31, after Goku seemingly dies from Namek's explosion ...
Narrator: "... you know that Goku makes a dramatic escape. You know the story, I'm not gonna tell it to you."
- Jerkass: Vegeta
- Killed Mid-Sentence- Happens to both Android 17 and 18 in Trunks' timeline, as well as one of Garlic Jr's minions.
- Narration Echo: In episode 26
Narrator: "... when suddenly, a package with a note on it just arrived."
Goku: "Hey look, a package with a note on it just arrived."
Narrator: "I just said that!"
- Negative Continuity: Almost everyone except for Nappa is always better by the next episode. That includes Cell, Frieza, Bardock, Vegeta, and even Raditz. Gozar even admits this on his site.
- No Ending: The episode where Goku is about to take out Broly for the Sopranos ending.
- No Fourth Wall: All the characters acknowledge that they exist in a Gag Dub / Fan Fiction series and even referenced Gozar many times.
- Overly Long Gag: "ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT KRILLIN!?"
- Bardock: "FRIEZA!!!" What? "FRIEZA!!!" WHAT!? "FRIEZA!!!" WHAT!?
(After a few moments)
Cooler: YOU KNOW WHAT, I'M FREAKING FRIEZA!!!
Goku: No you're not! You must be his brother!
- Psychopathic Manchild- Dodoria
- And Doore.
- Rage Against the Author: Lots of characters in the series like to make fun of Gozar, but Vegeta probably takes the cake.
- Refuge in Vulgarity: Vegeta's vulgar christmas songs.
- Running Gag- Piccolo's love for Celine Dion, Frieza's bad sense of time, Goku being stuck in a lifeless marriage with Chi-Chi, and Vegeta blowing up while holding
- Shout-Out: A lot of them.
- Piccolo: IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!!!
- Team Ginyu's introduction.
- "Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids. Why couldn't they just give him some damn cereal!"
- Soundtrack Dissonance: A couple of times, most notably when Garlic Jr. is knocked into the Dead Zone by Vegeta, where the music is used as a replacement for the lack of a finishing line for Vegeta.
- Space Pirate: Bojack: "Arrgh, I be Bojack. The Pirate!"
- Spoof Aesop: "And now it's time for parenting with Vegeta!"
- Stylistic Suck: Episode 19's "How Vegeta Saved Alternate Reality Dragon Ball Z."
- Suicidal Overconfidence - Bardock is certain he can defeat Frieza despite losing to Dodoria.
- Switching to GEICO: Vegeta at the end of Episode 8, after Piccolo reminds him he wasn't featured prominently in the episode.
Vegeta: I'm going to reveal something so amazingly awesome, it's going to blow the viewers' minds. And that something is: I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO!
- Take That- In episode 24, Gozar mocks the Naruto series.
- In Episode 58, Mr. Popo says "Pecking Order". Krillin then tells him to shut up. However, this most probably came out as a joke.
- Talking to Himself - Goku, speaking to angry trunks: "When your voice got all high it sounded like mine!"
- Those Wacky Nazis: Adolf Hitler is apparently Vegeta's best friend. He also hates Mystic Gohan.
- Throw the Dog a Bone- The only person who liked Gohan (especially Mystic) was Piccolo in the early episodes. However, Piccolo later jumped on the Gohan-hate Bandwaggon. This was lampshaded at the end of the Majin Buu Saga retelling when Trunks reminds him of his meltdown when Gohan went on his first date. After that, Piccolo seems to be Gohan's friend again.
- Too Cool to Live- "Future" Gohan, ironically. Lampshaded in a title opening:
Narrator: "Why does the 1 cool Gohan have to die? I BLAME MYSTIC GOHAN!!!"
- Too Dumb to Live: "Wheeee! Wheeee! La la la la la la! Wheeee! I'm Frieza! Wheeeee!"
- Training From Hell: Ok, let me show my form of training. It's called THROW YOUR STUDENT AT A MOUNTAIN AND SEE IF HE LIVES!
- Unexplained Recovery - Raditz, who got killed in Episode 1 but returns as a recurring character in later episodes, notable where he saves the world from Cell and hosts a Pineapple Head segment.
- The Unfavorite: Goku doesn't hide his disdain for Gohan, even saying outright that he's a loser. Chi-Chi calls him out on it, before coming to the same opinion.
- Unusual Euphemism- "HOLY HFIL" and "Son of a Scientist"
- Yank the Dog's Chain- In Episode 43 Goku gives Gohan a chance to become a hero by defeating Cell. However in Episode 45 Gohan fails and Raditz, in a Big Damn Heroes moment, succeeds instead.