|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
An ongoing series by Endo Hiroki, author of Eden: It's an Endless World!. All Rounder Meguru is the story of a young Shooto fighter in the amateur circuit, his relationships with his gym and school friends, and his ambitions to reach pro level.
It's also the story of a young man trying to avenge the death of his father and keep himself out of the family business while trying to make a place for himself in the world of professional martial arts.
This work provides examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: Not so much accidental as deliberately engineered by a third party.
- Action Girl: Maki.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: "But I'm the star of this manga!" Also, see Say It with Hearts below.
- Chekhov's Gun: "Yudai, you'll hurt yourself getting out of a hold like that."
- Combat Commentator: For all the shooto matches; unsurprising since it's a spectator sport.
- Deadpan Snarker: Maki, full stop. Gets called out on it at one point, but it's Played for Laughs.
- Decoy Protagonist: Takashi. The establishing prologue mostly shows his story, and his plots are much heavier and more dramatic, but Meguru's the one with his name in the title.
- Deuteragonist: Takashi.
- Expy: Maki, a red haired skilled kickboxing high school aged girl of unusual size. Does that name sound familiar from somewhere?
- Good Old Fisticuffs: In the prologue, and again with Takashi against Samyong Cho, the ex-boxer bodyguard. averted when Takashi takes down multiple armed opponents with his traditional karate techniques.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Maki (179 cm)
- Instant Sedation: Used on Takashi's father.
- Lady of War: Maria.
- Lightning Bruiser: Takashi, most prominently. Though there's plenty more, which isn't surprising seeing as this is a series about MMA.
- Martial Pacifist: What Takashi's grandfather tries to teach his students to be, ever since his son fell in with the yakuza.
- Mega Manning: Meguru's specialty, although in a more low key fashion than usual.
- Naked First Impression: Done twice, with two sets of characters. The first time (Meguru and Maki) ends exactly how you'd expect it to. The second one (Yudai and Momoko), on the other hand...
- Not What It Looks Like: Meguru practicing his ground grappling techniques on a cloth doll in his bedroom.
- Operation: Jealousy: Meguru becomes the Other Guy in one of these.
- Panty Shot: Subverted when Kazumasa and Tadashi discover, to their horror, that most schoolgirls wear gym shorts under their skirts.
Meguru: That's the sound of their lecherous dreams being shattered.
- Parental Abandonment: Takashi.
- Perpetual Smiler: Maria.
- Punny Name: "Meguru" is a Japanese verb that means "to go around."
- Say It with Hearts: In a fourth wall breaking moment, this actually gets noticed by other characters.
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!: Meguru's grandmother.
- Tsundere: Maki's attitude towards Meguru is slowly developing into this.
- We Used to Be Friends: Meguru and Takashi.
- You Killed My Father: Averted. Takashi finds out the man responsible for his father's death was already killed in prison.