|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
All Fun and Games until Somebody Loses an Eye is the ninth novel by Scottish writer Christopher Brookmyre.
Jane Fleming, a 46-year-old housewife and grandmother, lives a quiet life in suburban East Kilbride. All that changes when her son, Ross, who works in the arms industry, is forced into hiding when his latest research attracts unwanted attention. Aided by the mysterious Bett, Jane must confront drug dealers, assassins and ruthless arms dealers in order to save her son.
This Work page is a stub. You can help All The Tropes by expanding it.
- Action Mom
- Embarrassing First Name: Hilary Bett
- Enemy Mine: This doesn't quite work out.
- Fairy Tale Motifs : Lots of Shout Outs to Beauty and The Beast. Bell and Bett are anglicisations of the French words for Beauty and Beast, although B? is a feminine noun, which would explain the girly first name. Bett also feels a lot of guilt over what his job has led him to do in the past, meaning he sees himself as a complete monster. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the action takes places in a big chateau in the middle of France where its owner skulks around in the West Wing.
- Genre Savvy: Bett, most of the time.
- Insufferable Genius: Most of Bett's team, and Ross Fleming, have their moments of this. Bett goes out of his way to live up to this one.
- Mama Bear: Jane/Blue Bell
- Magnificent Bastard: Bett and Ross' dull boss
- Manipulative Bastard: As above.
- Never Mess with Granny: Jane.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: What Bett's team might have been if he didn't streamline them so brutally
- Something He Would Never Say
- Teen Genius: Alexis and most of the rest of Bett's team.
- The Wrong Right Thing: Jane's husband and his options.