|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
...yeah, didn't think so. Even so, it would look a lot like this webcomic.
Alien Loves Predator is a photo webcomic created by Bernie Hou that revolves around the strange lives of Abe (the Alien) and Preston (the Predator), portrayed by Alien and Predator action figures. Contrary to the adversarial nature shown between the two species in a certain other franchise, these two are best friends and roommates living in New York City. Equally contrary to what you'd expect, their lives are amazingly mundane, causing several jokes to rely on observational humor centered around aspects of day to day life in NYC, which has granted the strip several comparisons to Seinfeld. Of course, every so often the inherent weirdness of the strip's universe kicks in, leading to stuff like a talking tattoo of William Hung, a sentient smell, time traveling Chinese takeout deliverymen, among others.
The strip doesn't have much of a supporting cast, though they often play big parts in story arcs. This cast includes Corinne, a psychic whose "blurry second sight" leads to inaccurate predictions; Abe's mom, an (of course) Alien Queen that doesn't think much of her son and Jesus Christ, star baseball player for the New York Mets.
...yeah, it's a weird comic. Pretty funny, though.
Contains examples of the following tropes:
- Alternate Universe: The current story arc is set in one where extraterrestrials are persecuted due to the policies of the first black President of the United States: Will Smith.
- Amusing Injuries
- Big Applesauce
- Casanova Wannabe: Abe
- Catch Phrase: "What a great idea! I can see no downside." Really, Abe?
- Cloudcuckoolander: Abe
- Cluster F-Bomb: And thus, Preston's favorite word is revealed.
- Killed Off for Real: Abe's mom.
- Mundane Fantastic: Surreal elements aside, the comic's world is identical to ours, with the same politicians, products, etc.
- Pals with Jesus
- Photo Comic
- Planet Eris
- Punctuated for Emphasis: Do not- Smoke- The Christmas Tree!
- Running Gag: Abe's disastrous attempts at speed dating.
- Schedule Slip: The strip has gone on hiatus several times (Hou's wife had twins), but it seems to have gone back on track. For now.
- Straight Man: Preston, for the most part.
- This Is Going to Be Huge: Back in the 90s, Abe had the unfortunate idea to invest his college textbook money in shares of Pets.com