|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Ali G is a middle-class white kid from Staines, a sleepy little suburb, who lives with his grandmother. He spends his time pretending to be a gangsta with a couple other prep-school types from around the neighborhood. He has a running rivalry with the crosstown East Staines Massiv, though all the Staines gangstas are so straight-laced that they won't even exceed the speed limit while street racing. The closest thing Ali G has to a job is volunteering at the town leisure center, teaching kids how to "keep it real" by educating them on gangsta rap cliches. When he learns that the leisure center is about to be closed, he decides to go on a political campaign to keep it open. A nefarious Deputy Prime Minister persuades him to run for MP, and due to a fluke he wins. Ali G gets into a variety of Fish Out of Water shenanigans as his horn-dog, pot-smoking personality clashes with the stuffy politicos. Ultimately Ali G must ralley all the suburban gangstas to save Britain from the evil Deputy Prime Minister.
- The Cameo: Sacha Baron Cohen's brief cameo as Borat Sagdiyev.
- Fish Out of Water: Ali G in Parliament? Oh, my medication!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Rico uses some pretty colorful Spanish: "Hijo su chingada madre." There's funny stuff in there too, so also Bilingual Bonus.
- Idiot Hero: Well for as much as Ali G can be called a hero.
- The Movie: Ali G gained popularity as a television character before the film.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Ali mistakes a feminist group for lesbians and promises to "lower taxes on strap-ons" if elected.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Ali G and all the other gangstas in the film are middle-class suburban kids who model themselves after what they hear in gangsta rap. Not all of them are actually white, however.
- Springtime for Hitler: The Deputy Prime Minister plans to use Ali G as part of this sort of scheme repeatedly in order to cause a crisis of confidence and allow him to become Prime Minister: first he plans for choosing Ali G as their candidate to lose them a safe seat in a by-election, then when that fails he plots for Ali's incompetence to bring down the Prime Minister directly.
- Trailer Spoof: One teaser pretended to be for the biopic Ali.
- You Called Me "X" - It Must Be Serious: Julie only calls Ali "Alistair" when he pisses her off.