|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
AirMech is an upcoming Action / Real Time Strategy hybrid game by Carbon Games, heavily inspired by Herzog Zwei. Players control a titular Humongous Mecha called an Air Mech that has the ability to fly in the air as a fighter plane, or land on the ground, transform into a mech and shoot enemies.
The objective is to destroy the opposing player's base, just as in a Real Time Strategy game. But as in Herzog Zwei, the player cannot directly damage the base. Players can build a variety of units to attack, defend and capture bases to collect resources. Only those units can destroy the opponent's base.
The game is free to play. It is in it's alpha stages, and players can either sign up for the private Windows version, or immediately be able to play by signing up for the open Google Chrome App version.
This game features examples of:
- Combat Medic: Patchers and Ratchets.
- Continuing Is Painful: The penalty for dying is similar to DOTA. It awards your opponent experience and funds, and leaves you unable to do anything while you wait to respawn. In fact, you can't even see the battlefield, as you watch your new Airmech be assembled from scratch.
- Fragile Speedster: The player, who can fly all over the map at blazing speed, but is not meant to fight alone.
- Genre Busting: The game combines Action with Real Time Strategy by giving Herzog Zwei a modern interpretation, and throws in elements from Defense of the Ancients. It's Google Chrome page calls it "MOBA Action RTS."
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In the first version of the game, solo play was available under the option "Play With Yourself"
- Homage: Its a big love letter to Herzog Zwei.
- Macross Missile Massacre: A specialty of anti-air units such as Seekers, or Airmechs with missile abilities, such as the Chopper.
- Microtransactions: You can use them to pay for cosmetic stuff and to unlock units, pilots and airmechs without having to wait to earn kudos in-game. You still need to be of a sufficiently high level to be able to unlock them, however, so no Bribing Your Way to Victory.
- Ms. Fanservice: Natasha.
- Shout-Out: "HERE COME THE CREEPS!"
- Sincerest Form of Flattery
- Spiritual Successor: To Herzog Zwei.
- Tank Goodness: Medium Tanks (Longhorns and Geminis.)
- Transforming Mecha: The titular airmechs.
- X Meets Y: Airplane meets Mechs. And Action meets Real Time Strategy.
- War Has Never Been So Much Fun: Candy colored armies and no human infantry. All are robots.
- Zerg Rush: Infantry can do this, helped by a player dumping infantry on top of an enemy outpost so they can steal it without the opponent's undivided attention. A Zerg Rush is a valid form of harassment.