|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
After The Rain (original title 雨あがる) is a movie directed by Koizumi Takashi and released in 1998. It was written and supposed to be directed by legendary Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa, but he died just as the shooting was about to begin, and his assistant took over.
Set during the Tokugawa Era, the film tells the story of Misawa Ihei, a Ronin who wanders on the roads of Japan in search of employment, his devoted wife in tow. Misawa's problem is that he's too good at what he does, and attracts jealousy and resentment wherever he goes. But he is a genuinely selfless man, entirely devoid of petty ambition.
After being stuck in an inn for several days during a raining spell, he meets the local daimyo and hopes to finally get a steady job as his retainer.
Contains examples of:
- Author Existence Failure: Averted, thanks to Kurosawa's assistant.
- Badass Normal: Despite his humble, self-effacing way, Misawa is in fact quite badass.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Played straight.
- Master Swordsman
- Technical Pacifist: Misawa goes out of his way to avoid getting into deadly fights.
- Victorious Loser: Misawa in a nutshell.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: Played straight -- Misawa is such a skilled swordsman that he defeats an opponent armed with a lance using a wooden katana.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Misawa's wife is devoted and soft-spoken; she dutifully follows her husband and helps make his life easier in various subtle ways.
- Also, the daimyo's concubine.
- You All Meet in An Inn: The story begins as a bunch of travellers are stuck together in an inn.