|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
A Sister Trope to Western Terrorists, African Terrorists are terrorists from sub-Sahara Africa who primarily operate out of their home continent, carrying out guerilla operations against domestic and foreign governments and frequently being involved in the drug trade. They will often be Mooks to a wealthier, lighter-skinned criminal organization, typically Western or Slavic
- In 2001 Nights, the chapter Elliptical Orbit' features African terrorists combined with Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters.
- Kimba the White Lion has African terrorists appear as villains from time to time.
- Blood Diamond
- The Gods Must Be Crazy features Sam Boga and his men, who shoot up the Cabinet of a Bulungi and spend the rest of the film fleeing from the army.
- Black Hawk Down
- Steven Obanno, an LRA leader, shows up near the beginning of Casino Royale in a meeting with Mr. White, in order to negotiate a deal with the criminal international banker Le Chiffre to hold the funds of his organization for safekeeping. Word of God is that Obanno was based on the Real Life leader of the LRA, Joseph Kony.
- The rebel army who forces Mr. Eko to become a child soldier in Lost.
- A couple episodes of MacGyver involved these.
- These appear in Season 7 of 24. Appropriate to the trope, The Man Behind the Man is white Corrupt Corporate Executive Jonas Hodges.
- Knight Rider
- Flashforward: Protagonists came to Somalia to investigate mysterious towers and ran into those guys.
- Far Cry 2 involves two such terrorist organizations.
- The Lord's Resistance Army, who seek to establish a Christian fundamentalist state in Uganda. Or something like that. No one knows what exactly they want; some say they're christian, others say they are followers of Acholi Nationalism, the LRA even claimed to be muslim on one occasion. The LRA is infamous for their cruel tactics: They abduct children to use them as soldiers or sex slaves, mutilate their victims, and massacre whole villages. Their leader, Joseph Kony, is also widely regarded as a Complete Monster, or at least completely insane.
- The Somalian pirates that have been kidnapping people from ships for several
monthsdecades now (February of 2009).
- The Al Qaeda groups stationed in Africa recruit and train members there.
- Its Somalia-affiliated branch, Al-Shabab, is a straight example.