|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Action Comics first saw publication in June 1938. It's most famous for having the debut of Superman in its first issue. What many people do not realize, however, is that Action Comics, like most Comic Books of its day, was an anthology containing multiple unrelated stories. As such, Action Comics #1 also marked the debut of Zatara the magician, perhaps better known today as the father of Zatanna.
As times changed, comics began to drop the anthology format, and now Action Comics is mainly just another Superman title. The book returned to the anthology format for awhile in the 80s, becoming Action Comics Weekly, but that was short-lived.
The book reached issue 904 before being renumbered with a new #1 for DC's 2011 New 52 relaunch.
Tropes Found In Action Comics (aside from those mentioned on the Superman page):
- Aliens Made Them Do It -- The notorious issues #592 and #593.
- Anthology Comic -- Until Superman just flat-out took over.
- Breakthrough Hit -- Action Comics #1 was the first truly successful comic published by DC Comics.
- Long Runner -- From 1938 to today, with no sign of slowing down or stopping aside from the occasional promotional reboot.
- Prequel -- The New 52 relaunch is currently telling the story of his re-re-re-revised origin.
- Scene Cover -- See that image up there? That scene happens in the story.
- Team-Up Series -- It was a Superman team-up book for a while Post-Crisis after DC Comics Presents ended.
- Villain Protagonist -- Paul Cornell's run has featured Lex Luthor as the main character (but it looks like Superman will be reclaiming it after #900).