|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Generally, acronyms make poor trope names. However, there are exceptions to the rule. This is the place to decide which is which.
Acronyms to Keep
- AIR - it appears to be the formal name of the series
- Better on DVD - DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc (formerly Digital Video Disc)
- BFG - more family-friendly than having a trope named "Big Fucking Gun" all over the website
- BFS - ditto for "Big Fucking Sword"
- CLAMP - a.k.a. "Clamp" because it's actually the group's name, not an acronym
- The CSI Effect - CSI stands for the show CSI (which itself stands for Crime Scene Investigation or Crime Scene Investigator, depending on the usage)
- DVD Bonus Content - DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc (formerly Digital Video Disc)
- ECW - "Extreme Championship Wrestling" (formerly stood for "Eastern Championship Wrestling")
- MST - originally "Mystery Science Theater", now a fan-speak verb meaning to give something the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment
- Off-the-Shelf FX - "Off The Shelf Effects" (FX is a homonym, not an acronym)
- OTP - "One True Pairing"
- OVA / OAV - "Original Video Animation" / "Original Animated Video"
- RPG Elements - "Roleplaying Game Elements"
- SNK Boss - SNK refers to the company "SNK Playmore" and its predecessor, "Shin Nihon Kikaku"
- THC Theater - "Tetrahydrocannibol Theater" (Stoner Flick)
- UST - "Unresolved Sexual Tension"
- WCW - "World Championship Wrestling"
- WWE - "World Wrestling Entertainment"
- CPR: Clean, Pretty, Reliable - "Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Clean Pretty Reliable" would probably be worse, but "Clean Pretty Reliable CPR" might be better
- High School AU - "High School Alternate Universe"
- IC Number - "Identity Code Number"
- NMA - "Not My Article"
- Non-Lethal KO - "Non-Lethal Knockout"
- NPC - "Non-Player Character"
- SAG - "Screen Actors Guild"
- Sympathetic POV - "Sympathetic Point Of View"
- WAFF - "Warm And Fuzzy Feeling"
Acronyms to Expand
Expansions to Keep:
Acronyms Not Kept
- AFGNCAAP (now Faceless Protagonist) - "Ageless, Faceless, Gender-Neutral, Culturally Ambiguous Adventure Person"
- PWP - Can mean both "Porn Without Plot" and "Porn with Plot". It's now a disambiguation page.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.