|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
An Accusation Fic is a Fix Fic or Revenge Fic with a Fandom Specific Plot of type B -- that is, with a plot unique to the fandom it's written in. It is generally written directly because of Canon events.
Perhaps the actions of the lead characters demonstrate Moral Dissonance. Perhaps there was a What the Hell, Hero? moment in which the canon author sided with the hero but the Fanfic writer didn't. Perhaps it's Values Dissonance between the author of the canon and the fanfic writers.
It doesn't matter where the original wrong lies -- whether it's a misguided author or a Misaimed Fandom. The result will be a plot in which the canon events will be deconstructed, or the results of the events turns dark. A careless author will use Diabolus Ex Machina for this; a clever one, using suitably flawed material, will make the consequences seem natural, or plausible if we've hit an Alternate Universe Fic, which it often will if the canon is long-running and the fic is about an event set midway through the run.
There will be negative consequences for the characters who did the perceived wrong. There may or may not be negative consequences for innocent characters, depending on how cruel the author is feeling.
Naturally, this sort of fic will tend to be a Dark Fic.
- In Lilo and Stitch: The Series, the eponymous girl and her illegal genetically engineered alien are tasked with capturing the other 625 experiments and repurposing them before the bad guys get to them. However, some would naturally be caught in order to avert a Boring Invincible Hero. Some fans cried foul about how Lilo appeared to seem to just let some of the captured experiments go. Experiment 166: Fury (which may in fact be the first Accusation Fic, depending on how old the genre actually is) invents a specially-made fan experiment that calls Lilo out on this, and at the end the she and the others go and rescue the until-then captured experiments.
- From House fandom:
- At the end of season 4, Wilson asked House to risk his life to save Amber's. House did. Then Wilson broke off his friendship with House because he failed to save Amber, even though House did what was asked and couldn't have done anything more... This event is still being written about, and a high percentage of the fics are going "What the hell, Wilson?" in one capacity or another.
- From The Charmed fandom:
- Many Cole fans wrote accusation fics about how that Phoebe had flat out dumped Cole despite all the good he had done after he came back. Also, how that Phoebe never even bother to find out that Cole was possessed by the Source of all evil against his will. There's a fairly good fic called The Cleansing. It showed the direct side effects of what might happen.
- Pick any Mass Effect fan fic that deals with the aftermath of Horizon, particularly if Shepard romanced either Ashley or Kaidan. Chances are, 4 times out of 5, it will be a thinly-veiled accusation fic against the first game love interest (though it is worth noting that Kaidan gets the brunt of this more than Ashley does).
- The Avatar: The Last Airbender magnum opus Stormbenders was written by an author who believed Aang wasn't a true hero, that he was selfish and refused to grow up and change and thus painted him as an unsympathetic child. In her view it was Zuko who was the Real Hero (and more importantly, deserved Katara's love more).
- On a lesser scale, this fic has Sokka calling Aang out for his refusal to kill Ozai in the finale.
- ICarly: Sam breaking up Carly and Freddie in season 3's iSaved Your Life by getting it into his head that Carly's feelings were not real. When Sam kissed Freddie in the season 4 finale some accusation fics were written about the idea that Sam's actions prior were because she was hiding her feelings but didn't want Freddie with Carly. Naturally when Carly puts two and two together in these fics they get dark.
- Quite a few fans of Veronica Mars were, to put it mildly, disappointed with the eponymous heroine's actions in season 3 (and, to a lesser extent, season 2, particularly its first half), thus fics where Veronica gets called on her attitude, especially concerning Logan, are pretty common. Still, it rather rarely goes dark, especially in Shipping cases.
- Fire Emblem fandom has several of these:
- Senbonzakura, a post-Conquest route Fates fic, presents Sakura as being far more resentful towards Corrin over his choice as a way of the author addressing their problem with Conquest!Corrin's choices and actions.
- Another fic for Awakening deconstructs Chrom's ending, in which a male Robin expresses his anger towards Chrom for not letting him deal the final blow to Grima, citing that it was not Chrom's decision to make and that he was selfish for doing it. He ends up sneaking off by himself to end his life as well as Grima's, and Chrom is left to suffer the damages and consequences of his choice.
- A Sacred Stones fic, In Questioning Ghosts, has Eirika unable to explain Lyon to the people without calling him on every mistake he made and in the end being unable to ever forgive him.
- Another Fates fic has Corrin harshly calling out both of their families: Nohr, for lying to them for years and Hoshido, for never trying to find them in all that time.
- Three Houses fandom often writes these fics about Edelgard, with her fellow Black Eagles going into internal monologues about what a horrible person she is and how they regret staying with her, or they're glad they switched to a different class.
- Other fans similarly tear into Lady Rhea in their fics, kink meme requests, and tags for her own morally dubious actions and apparent insensitivity towards the students.
- One Dimitri/Dedue fic tore Gilbert a new one in the tags for trying to ensure that Dedue's apparent death was not in vain by urging the group to move forward, considering there was a war going on and they needed to focus on reclaiming the Kingdom and protecting Garreg Mach from the Empire.
- One kink meme request explicitly asks for Felix to be called out for his behavior towards Dimitri, due to the anonymous requester finding it "ableist" and several replies agreeing with this take. Another has Sothis possessing Byleth solely she can do the same thing, as well as calling Gilbert out for his bad choices and fixing everything else "wrong" with Azure Moon in the fan's eyes.
- Voltron: Legendary Defender has two types of this focusing on Keith:
- The rest of the team is called out for "not caring enough" due to a lack of onscreen communication during Keith's absence while with the Blade of Marmora (a plot set in place due to Keith's voice actor Steven Yeun having other commitments at the time), including not reacting strongly enough to his near-heroic sacrifice at the end of season 4 and not showing enough concern over his struggles as leader in season 3.
- Keith himself is called out for any harsh words or explosions of temper, or any bad decisions he's made in the heat of the moment, usually by Shiro or Allura. His words in the season 7 episode "The Journey Within" or his insistence on going to the Blade of Marmora's base despite the danger are common targets for this.
- Fics accusing Shiro of "abandoning" Keith became popular post-season 8, as many Sheith fans were outraged by their lack of close moments throughout the season and Shiro's marriage to his communications officer Curtis.
- One post-series fic has Curtis and Lance badmouthing Shiro's ex-boyfriend Adam for not only breaking up with Shiro, but for not taking care of Keith (Shiro's protege) or worrying enough about the Holt family.
- Love Hina fics that harshly call out the girls on their behavior towards Keitaro are quite common. The two most notable are An Alternate Keitaro Urashima and For His Own Sake. Naru gets hit with this the hardest due to both being the canon love interest and seen as the one who's the worst to Keitaro.
- Ace Attorney fandom started requesting these on the Kink Meme once the 6th game came out. Nahyuta and Dhurke were the most common targets, the former for his passive-aggressive cruelty to the protagonists due to being blackmailed by the Big Bad and Dhurke for dropping Apollo off in the United States and never coming back for him.
- Before Spirit of Justice, the most common callouts were for Phoenix in the 4th game, for using tricky tactics to help Apollo win his first case and Thalassa, for not yet telling her children who she is and not visiting them once she got her vision back.
- Cori Falls's Pokémon fics eventually became one long string of these towards Ash Ketchum for daring to not worship the ground Jessie, James, Meowth, and their followers walked on and for any perceived slight against them in canon.
- This Winx Club fic has Specialist Timmy snap and completely go off on Bloom when his love interest Tecna is seriously wounded, blaming Bloom for all the bad things the heroes have had to go through and accusing her of being a selfish bitch who only cares about herself. Then he goes on to claim the other Alfea fairies "follow Bloom mindlessly" and that they shouldn't have to do what she says. Poor Bloom ends up feeling so guilty for her so-called "sins" that she breaks down in tears.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fandom does this so often that FiMfiction.net has an entire subgroup devoted to such fics. The most popular targets are:
- "The Mysterious Mare-do-Well", against the rest of the group for tricking Rainbow Dash instead of point-blank telling her to tone down her ego.
- "A Canterlot Wedding", against pretty much the entire main cast for accusing Twilight of being jealous and refusing to hear her out when she told them about Cadence.
- Starlight Glimmer in general, whose excuse for trying to force mediocrity and sameness is seen as a childish temper tantrum (she got jealous when a friend got his cutie mark and left her behind).