|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Not every living Alpha Bitch is concerned only on her social standing and her pretty looks. Some of these "mean girls from high school" are actually closer to Nerds, obsessed with a different kind of popularity: the one based on grades, reputation with teachers, and academic pull.Weiss: I was thinking we could be on the team together.
Pyrrha: Well, that sounds grand!
Weiss: Great! [turns around with smirk and clasping hands, monologuing to self] This will be perfect! The smartest girl in class combined with the strongest girl in class! Together we will be unstoppable! I can see it now! We'll be popular! We'll be celebrities! We'll get perfect grades! Nothing could come between us now!—RWBY
This girl may be pretty, but in an Ice Queen-like and more "wholesome" way. She'll likely be the Class Representative or Student Council President. She'll look prim, proper, serious, cool-minded and a bit prudish (but still pretty). She will do her best to be in good terms with the teachers and school authorities, often by sucking up to them or throwing other students under the bus. She will NOT stand for anything besmirching her precious grades and reputation, and the mere idea of looking dumber or having a dreaded "B" grade will make her SCREAM in horror...
A sympathetic one may go the Defrosting Ice Queen way and befriend the protagonist, but it's not guaranteed. Still, there may be an Education Mama or Papa behind her, or she may be a Nervous Wreck hoping to please her parents with her grades...
Anime and Manga
- Pictured above: Ami Mizuno from Sailor Moon had some traits in the original manga, which were amped Up to Eleven in the Ami's First Love special story and its first anime version.
- Reika Tamaki from Ojamajo Doremi had the odd "distinction" of being both this AND a traditional Alpha Bitch. On top of being the prettiest, richest and most popular student from Doremi, Aiko and Hazuki's class, she was the Class Representative and the one with top grades there.
- The most over-the-top example in anime is "Lady" Satsuki Kiryuin from Kill la Kill, who near completely dominates her school and rules it as pretty much its mistress with her mixed-gender posse. She turns out to have very, VERY good reasons to be this.
- Rare Male Example: Gakushuu Asano, the son of Kunugigaoka Junior High's Principal in Assassination Classroom.
- Highschool of the Dead: Prior to the outbreak, Saya Takagi was the smartest girl at Fujimi Highschool - and it showed. Her nigh-encyclopaedic intellect and analytical ability has enabled her to quickly and accurately assess a situation on repeat occasions, which has saved Takashi and the others several times. But the anime amped up this side and also made her almost unbearable at times, between lauding her intellectual superiority and being a major Tsundere.
- One of the most emblematic AAB's ever is Tracey Flick (Reese Witherspoon) from the movie Election.
- Witherspoon also gets to play the Spoiled Sweet Elle from Legally Blonde, who was antagonized by one of these: Vivian Kensington (played by Selma Blair), the brunette Bookworm who's dating Elle's now ex-boyfriend. She does warm up to Elle later, however.
- Hermione Granger from Harry Potter begins as a quintessential one, but defrosts pretty fast after befriending Ron and Harry.
- In Cuore, Enrico's The Ace of a classmate Ernesto Derossi has everything to be a Rare Male Example... but he's not. The closest would be his Unknown Rival and the local male Lovable Alpha Bitch, Votini.
- Topanga from Boy Meets World is mostly a good person, but she IS quite obsessed with her grades...
- God Eater: Alisa Ilinichina Amiella starts off as one of these. To put it simply, she's a new God Eater who has exceptional scores in simulations and apparently never learned that that does not equate to skill in actual combat. While in public she's well-behaved, when you talk to her after a mission, she shows herself to be a haughty know-it-all who seems convinced she knows how God Eating works better than even her veteran peers, and expresses disdain for several of her squadmates. She finds Kota and Lindow to be particularly annoying, the former due to his flirting and often poor decisions in combat and the latter due to his laid-back attitude, wondering how she got stuck with him as her captain. Thankfully, this attitude of hers doesn't last long, as she goes through a big Break the Haughty phase before her introductory chapter's even over.
- Persona 5: Makoto Niijima is a subversion. Everyone in the school, including the protagonists at first, see her as this, believing that she knew about Kamoshida's abuse of his students but did nothing to stop him because she only care about getting a good letter of recommendation and protecting the school's reputation. In reality, she was just as appalled and horrified as everyone else, but truly did not believe that she could go against the school authorities.
- Though, in the students' defence, Makoto really doesn't do herself any favours by initially acting exactly how the rumours describe her. Not to mention that, while this is revealed to be mostly a facade, the first thing she does after getting her codename of Queen is to take upon the role of The Strategist and more-or-less scare the others into submission. So while the rumours about her are far from the truth, they aren't entirely wrong.
- RWBY: Weiss Schnee, as quoted above. Though, being one of the main characters, she is also a Lovable Alpha Bitch.
- When at her worst, Lisa from The Simpsons fits in here perfectly. It's better seen when she gains a rival in the new girl Alison and she goes completely mad with fear and envy.