|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Wealthy, Successful Protagonist (Who Is Handsome) seemingly has it all: wealth, success, good looks, a gorgeous metropolitan home, the works. But, as his Insightful Best Friend points out, he doesn't have something to live for that's bigger than himself.
In comes Social Worker, who informs Wealthy, Successful Protagonist that due to various circumstances, he has been assigned custody of Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy, a Catch Phrase-spewing, mentally handicapped young man whose presence radically changes Wealthy, Successful Protagonist's comfortable status quo.
Things start looking up once Wealthy, Successful Protagonist meets Lead Female, a quirky, daring young woman who rejects social norms by dyeing her hair, and admires him for undertaking this responsibility. The two of them soon start dating, and Wealthy, Successful Protagonist learns to appreciate the positive impact Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy has on his life, and all seems well.
Then things get... complicated. Aside from dealing with his increasingly-rocky relationship with Lead Female and Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy's failing health, Wealthy, Successful Protagonist must also confront the machinations of a traitorous associate, inspire a young Latino boy to do well in school, defend an innocent black man in court, fight with the Native American metaphor against the American military metaphor, and help a local high school basketball team win the Big Game.
The latest cinematic masterpiece from Famous And/Or Foreign Director, Movie Title features an all-star cast including Academy Award-Winning Actor, Academy Award-Winning Actress, Actor Desperately Trying For An Academy Award, Older Actress In A Comeback Attempt, and Beloved Actor Who Died This Year in his final role.
On the meta side of things, it's a hilarious send-up of Oscar Bait movies in general by the folks at BriTANicK.com. Given how its entire purpose is to hang a gigantic lampshade on such films, it's not surprising how incredibly Troperrific it is for a video that's only three and a half minutes long.
This "film" contains examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: From the film students at Biola University, The Trailer for Every Christian Movie Ever.
- An Aesop: "Explicitly stating the moral of the story". As to what the Aesop even is...take your pick. Overcoming your character flaws, inspiring others to excel, racial equality, accepting one's sexual identity, treating handicapped people with dignity, finding true love... It's such a big pile-up of inspiring morals that it's not even clear what the message is anymore, befitting its Anviliciousness.
- The Alcoholic: Wealthy, Successful Protagonist is implied to be one.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: "PASSIONATE PLEA!!!... whisper of repetition."
- Big Game: Wealthy, Successful Protagonist inspires a basketball team with his Rousing Speech.
- Bi the Way: Both Wealthy, Successful Protagonist and Lead Female. Their same-gender love interests may be either this or gay.
Lead Female: Accusations about your sexuality!
Girl: My name.
Boy: My name.
- Breaking Lecture/Hannibal Lecture / "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "Specific outlining of your major character flaws!"
- Shut UP, Hannibal: "Overreaction!"
- The Cassandra: Insightful Best Friend, whose attempts to make Wealthy, Successful Protagonist face up to his personal shortcomings or warn him about imminent danger are usually met with dismissal, overreaction, or a Flat What.
- Catch Phrase:
Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy: Catchphrase!
- Cerebus Syndrome: What starts out as a self-absorbed guy frustrated with having to take care of an impaired person gradually turns more and more intense and (melo)dramatic.
- Clear My Name:
Also, I must prove innocent this incredibly humble human male.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: See after "The Mole".
- Courtroom Episode: "Also, I must prove innocent this incredibly humble human male."
- Crucified Hero Shot: At one point Wealthy, Successful Protagonist is seen shirtless in the snow, arms outstretched, eyes closed and face towards the sky. What do you mean, it's not symbolic?
- Dead Artists Are Better: "Beloved actor who died this year".
- Deliberately Monochrome: With a Splash of Colour. Red, to be specific.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose In Life: Wealthy, Successful Protagonist, even if he isn't aware of it at first.
- Dramatic Shattering: The wine glass dropped on the floor.
- Drugs Are Bad: Social Worker, who is seen snorting crack between puffing on a cigarette.
- E=MC Hammer: Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy's whiteboard filled with mathematical scribblings, and an English Lit variant appears on the blackboard in Latin-American Teenager’s classroom.
- Establishing Character Moment:
Protagonist: A toast establishing me as a wealthy, successful protagonist, who is handsome.
- "Everybody Laughs" Ending / Mood Whiplash: "It's not going to be entirely a dramatic film. Because we laughed there."
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The entire frigging script runs on this trope, as you can see in the examples.
- False Friend / Paranoia Fuel: "Suspicion that a character, once thought trustworthy, may not be trustworthy!"
- Grave Marking Scene: Performed by Wealthy, Successful Protagonist, but it's not shown whose stone it is (although it's implied to be Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy).
- Idiot Savant: Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy writes a Big Equation on a whiteboard.
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged: Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy, "a character suffering from the most topical disability of the present year."
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged Wards Raise You: Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy not only brings meaning to Wealthy, Successful Protagonist's life, but he's also the reason that Wealthy, Successful Protagonist and Lead Female meet.
- Jerkass: Social Worker. Flat-out calling Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy a "retard"? In her line of work? (She's also seen snorting cocaine.)
- Kudzu Plot: "Friendly concern that a string of heightened and seemingly unrelated plots may now arise."
- Lampshade Hanging: It's all lampshade hanging.
- Love Dodecahedron: Overlaps with Everyone Is Bi — Wealthy, Successful Protagonist x Lead Female; Wealthy, Successful Protagonist x Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy; Lead Female x Social Worker; and Lead Female x Insightful Best Friend.
- Magical Negro: "Friendly black, optimistic advice."
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Lead Female.
Protagonist: Interest in your bold rejection of social norms as evidenced by your dyed hair.
- The Messiah: Wealthy, Successful Protagonist is this.
- Missing Trailer Scene: Insightful Best Friend spills wine on himself in the bathtub.
"This scene doesn't make it to the final cut of the movie."
- The Mole: "Suspicion that a character once thought trustworthy may not be trustworthy!"
- Multicolored Hair: Lead Female, who "rejects social norms" by dying blue and magenta streaks into her hair.
- Oscar Bait: Actor Desperately Trying for an Academy Award as Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy.
- Psychologist Teacher: Wealthy, Succesful Protagonist functions as this towards Latin-American teenager.
- The Rainman: Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy.
- Real Trailer, Fake Movie: The entire thing.
- Resentful Guardian: Wealthy, Successful Protagonist...at first. He gets better after Lead Female expresses an attraction to him due to his "seeming selflessness" in looking after Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy.
- Ripped from the Headlines: Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy's disability is "the most topical disability of the present year".
- Rousing Speech: "Inspiring final lines of a speech that douchebags will quote in their FACEBOOK PROFILES!"
Basketball Team: "CHEER!!"
- Save Our Students: "Also, I've got to use tough love to help this Latin-American teenager believe in himself."
- Say My Name: "LEAD FEMALE'S NAME!"
- Single Tear: Wealthy, Successful Protagonist during his Unbroken Vigil at Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy's hospital bedside, when Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy whispers his "naive, yet inspiring, statement".
- Smart People Play Chess: Insightful Best Friend.
- Snow Means Death: Protagonist is seen standing at a cemetery on a winter day.
- Sweeps Week Lesbian Kiss: Between Lead Female and Social Worker.
- Tempting Fate: "Reassurance that my good fortune will not waver."
- That Makes Me Feel Angry - Almost every line as a result of the characters explicitly voicing their feelings.
Wealthy, Successful Protagonist: Frustration with these new circumstances!
- Third-Act Misunderstanding: "Differences are surfacing between us!"
- Title Drop: "Explicitly stating the moral of the story and awkwardly working in (Beat) the Movie Title."
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy. Just in case it wasn’t obvious enough, there's a shot of him smiling peacefully as he stands in a shower of rose petals.
- Tough Love
- Trailers Always Lie: "This scene doesn't make it into the final cut of the movie."
- Trope Name: Every single line.
- Troperiffic: As this page should well demonstrate.
- Unsound Effect: "Laugh, laugh, laugh"; "CHEER!"; "Murmur of agreement".
- Wall of Text: BIG EQUATION
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?
- White Dwarf Starlet: "Older actress trying for a comeback".
- White Male Lead: Wealthy, Successful Protagonist.
- White Man's Burden: Wealthy, Successful Protagonist ends up single-handedly saving a Latin-American teenager, an "incredibly humble human male" (namely, an African-American), and the Native American metaphor.
- Wise Beyond Their Years (And Inspirational Disadvantages): Inspirationally Disadvantaged Guy delivers a "naive yet inspiring statement..." from his hospital bed.
- World of Ham: And it's awesome.
- You Just Had to Say It:
Insightful Best Friend: "Friendly concern that a string of heightened and seemingly unrelated plots may now arise."
Wealthy, Successful Protagonist: (Beat) "Dude!"
- Your Cheating Heart: When their relationship's breaking down, Lead Female sleeps with Insightful Best Friend.