|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Directed by Robert Redford and starring Brad Pitt, A River Runs Through It is a 1992 film based off the semi-autobiography of Norman Maclean. Set in and around the city of Missoula in western Montana between World War I and The Great Depression, the story follows the brothers Norman and Paulie Maclean, exploring several themes of Transcendentalism.
- Academy Award: Best Cinematography.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Neal
- The Dutiful Son: Norman.
- Fake American: Brit Brenda Blethyn as Mrs. Maclean
- The Film of the Book
- The Gambling Addict: Paul
- Narrator: Redford reads directly from Maclean's book.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Norman's blue to Paulie's red
- Scenery Porn
- Small Town Boredom: Played with. Norman barely talks to his parents after going off to university, but on coming back he remembers all the things he loved about rural life. Paul, on the other hand, refuses to leave Montana even when his life is at stake.
- Title Drop