|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Come on, nothing bad ever happens in Hawaii, right?"—Cliff
A Perfect Getaway is about Cliff and Cydney. Cliff and Cydney are newlyweds who have decided to spend their vacation in Hawaii. Then, they find out when they get to a second island that a pair of serial killers--a man and a woman--are on the loose on the islands. They then run into Kale and Cleo, a pair of suspicious hitch-hikers and Nick and Gina, an ex-American Jedi and his girlfriend. All three couples wonder if the other two couples are the killers, all while wandering farther and farther from society and deeper into the jungle...
- Badass: Nick. The things he's done are so awesome that Cliff doesn't believe they're even true. They are.
- Bitches In Sheep's Clothing: Cliff/Rocky and Cydney.
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: The writers basically punch through the surface of the movie to have two characters, neither of whom have any background in screenwriting, talk as though they're on a writer's retreat, trying to come up with a movie.
- Cerebus Syndrome: This movie starts out suspenseful, but also very funny. About halfway through, it gets really fucking disturbing.
- Chekhov's Gun: The CB radios in the Kayak. It's fired in one of the best jump scares in recent years.
- Also, early on, Nick boasts about having a titanium plate put in his skull due to a head injury. It later on proves instrumental in saving his life from getting shot in the head.
- Foot Focus: Cydney gets a few shots like this near the beginning of the film, when she's hanging her feet out of the car window while wearing flip-flops.
- Gorn: The gore was fairly limited to a handful of shots in the last few minutes.
- Heel Face Turn: Cyndey has a change of heart after she sees how much Nick and Gina really do love each other, in contrast to the screwed up relationship she has with Rocky.
- I Just Want to Be You The killers' motive.
- Les Yay:
Nick: "Gina can take care of herself."
Cliff: "I meant Cydney."
Nick: "Oh. Well Gina can take care of her too..."
- No Name Given: After The Reveal, "Cydney"'s real name is never revealed.
- Punny Name: The Hawaiian hiking trail is a "perfect getaway" because it's a good vacation. It's also a good place to hide if you had just, say, killed a bunch of people and were trying to escape. Get it?
- Red Herring: Lampshaded, just so the audience won't know who the Red Herring is. Not only are Kale and Cleo Red Herrings, but so are Nick and Gina.
- Scenery Porn: Hawaii looks pretty awesome.
- The Reveal: Cliff and Cydney were a couple on the other island. He was a screenwriter, she was his wife. They told some dude named Rocky and his girlfriend all about their lives. Rocky and his girlfriend killed them, stole their identities and are the protagonists.
- Too Dumb to Live: Fortunately, it's only a group of Spear Carrier kayaking dudes. Just remember, when you insist that your kayaks are more important than a hysterical woman screaming about a murderer on her tail, you deserve to die. You could've just moved the conversation down to the beach, couldn't you?
- Trailers Always Spoil: It's called A Perfect Getaway. In the trailer, they specify that the killers are a man and a woman. If you haven't put it together before you're in your seat, you must be a saint.
- Twist Ending: Well, actually, it happens about halfway through the movie, but same difference, right?
- Villain Protagonist: For some value of villain with Cliff and Cydney and some value of protagonist with Nick and Gina.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We don't really know what happens to Kale and Cleo after they get arrested.