|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
9 Dead Gay Guys is a 2003 British dark comedy about two young Irish lads, Byron and Kenny, who go to London to find their fortune. Unfortunately, they end up giving blowjobs to older gay men in order to subsidize their drinking habits. But when the Queen, lover of the very rich and very discreet Orthodox Jew Golder's Green, dies, there's a rush among the various unsavory elements of the London gay community, including Psycho Lesbian Iron Lady, the very small (in more ways than one) Desperate Dwarf, and our two heroes, to get into Golder's Green's bed, rumored to be absolutely full of money. But to get to Golder's Green, you need to pass the "Really Hard Red Bull Test," involving 2 cans of Red Bull and something as long as both of them stacked one on top of the other...
This movie contains the following tropes:
- Berserk Button: the Desperate Dwarf has one regarding people turning him down for sex because of his tiny penis, as well as people who call him a midget
- Black Comedy: the title should say it all
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: What Golder's Green likes, hence the Really Hard Red Bull Test.
- Bury Your Gays: As the title mentions, over the course of the film 9 gay men and one lesbian die.
- Covers Always Lie: the DVD cover has pictures of 9 of the characters featured in the film, the implication being that these are the titular 9 dead guys. However, Old Nick, Kenny, and Byron survive the film, and the three West African Brothers and the priest are not included.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep"\Only Known by Their Nickname: We never learn the real names of the Iron Lady, the Three West African Brothers, Golder's Green, The Queen, the Desperate Dwarf, or Donkey Dick Dark.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Gag Penis: Everyone that passes the Really Hard Red Bull Test, namely Kenny, the Queen and all three of the West African Brothers
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Byron
- Het Is Ew: The Iron Lady throws a straight couple out of her bar for kissing
- Informed Judaism: we never see Golder's Green do or say anything particularly Jewish, although this is justified as he is 'discreet" and therefore keeps his Jewish and gay lives as separate as possible.
- Insistent Terminology: The Desperate Dwarf is a dwarf, not a midget.
- Jerkass: Byron
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: the Iron Lady
- Nausea Fuel: although we never actually see it, people's reactions to Dickcheese Deepak's penis imply that it is rather disgusting
- Psycho Lesbian: the Iron Lady
- Straight Gay: Kenny
- Token Lesbian: the Iron Lady, the only lesbian to appear in the entire movie
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After Jeff dies while having sex with Kenny, we hear nothing else about it. Was it reported to the police? Did they question Kenny? Also done somewhat more humorously with Dickcheese Deepak, whom aour protagonists leave where he died and then pass by sometime later, revealing that he's still just lying there