|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
2NE1 (usually pronounced "twenty-one" or "to anyone", Korean: 투애니원) is a Girl Group from South Korea, formed by YG Entertainment. They debuted in 2009 and obtained instant success, due in part to the fact that their style and lyrics gave the quartet an edge unheard of in the vast Korean girl group scene. As of 2011, they have released 2 mini albums in Korean, 1 mini album in Japanese and 1 full album in Korean, becoming incredibly popular at home and impressing Black Eyed Peas' Will.i.am, with whom recorded an album in English for their debut in the States.
- CL, born Lee Chae Rin, The Leader of the group (Type II/Type IV), and the main rapper. Usually wears Cool Shades.
- Minzy, born Gong Min Ji. At 17, she was the youngest member of the group, but has the deepest voice and is a main singer and rapper.
- Dara, born Park Sandara. She sings and is the director of communications for the group. She's also the oldest member.
- Bom, born Park Bom, the main singer. Bom is known for her voice and her affinity for mini dresses.
- 2NE1 1st Mini Album (2009)
- To Anyone (2010)
- 2NE1 2nd Mini Album (2011)
- NOLZA! (2011) (Japanese version of their 2nd Mini Album)
Provides examples of:
- Animated Music Video: For Hate You.
- Anime Hair: Dara and CL in the music video for "I Am The Best".
- Bare Your Midriff: CL in the beginning of "Can't Nobody".
- Break Up Song: They have quite a few.
- Cool Shades: CL seems to have a full on fetish for them.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Dara. Her previously wealthy family had to emigrate to the Philippines, where Dara had trouble adjusting. She managed to become quite a starlet, but her father gambled a lot of her money away.
- Distaff Counterpart: Labelmates BIGBANG, by Word of God (the CEO of their label).
- Dye Hard: CL is always a blonde.
- Fan Girl: Minzy, for the Black Eyed Peas and Usher. CL for 2NE1's own producer, Teddy Park.
- Genre Shift: From the R&B-influenced K-Pop of their debut EP, to the electro-influenced later releases.
- Gratuitous English: For a K-Pop group, not so much - their producer, Teddy, is half-American after all.
- Idol Singer: Obviously. But unlike other idols, they pretty much stick to music - when they appear in TV, it's an event. May be because, when they're not on stage, they're really shy.
- The Leader: CL. Oh, CL. On stage, she is a beast. Off stage, quite a dorky girl.
- Lighter and Softer: Compare the Japanese version of the music video for "Go Away" to the original Korean version.
- Old Shame: After the Dark and Troubled Past-related event told before, Dara's popularity in the Philippines began to lessen, and she posed in lingerie for an adult magazine.
- Older Than They Look: Both Dara and Bom are in their late twenties but look years younger.
- Out-of-Genre Experience: The reggae version of their hit I Don't Care, and Ugly, a song influenced by punk rock. Also, their ballads, but it's usual for them to put a ballad on every album.
- Reason You Suck Speech: Hate You, again.
- She's Got Legs: Bom - and since she wears mini dresses all the time, probably she knows this.
- Stage Fright: Bom's performances can vary from stellar to horrible, depending on that.
- Surprisingly Good English: CL, because she grew up in many places (her dad was a physics professor). Bom as well, she studied in America.
- Surprisingly Good Foreign Language: Due to having lived in the Philippines, Dara can speak fluent Tagalog.
- Would Hit a Girl: The guy in the "Go Away" music video. He pays for it, though.
- Playing Card Motifs: Many fans agree that CL is the Spade, Dara is the Heart, Bom is the Diamond and Minzy is the Club. Their fandom name, Blackjacks, too.